• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

RAYO (100 Guns), 1/72 scale, Battle of Trafalgar, 1805

egonzinc

Brigade Commander
A very exciting new addition to my collection that is VERY different.

Name: RAYO
Dedicated to: San Pedro Apostol
Constructed: La Habana, 1748-1751
Scale: 1/72
Battle of Trafalgar, October 21, 1805
Model constructed by Curro Agudo Mangas in Badajoz, Spain, 2015
Dimensions of the model and base: 61” long x 23” wide x 46” tall.

412990761.jpg

412990763.jpg

Originally built as a warship of 80 cannons, it was upgraded to 100 cannons in 1803. On August 27, 1805 joined the fleet and participated in the Battle of Trafalgar in which it lost 4 dead and 21 wounded. Arrived in Cadiz after the battle and left Cadiz on the 23rd, participating in the rescue of two warships, the Santa Ana and Neptuno. The RAYO sank in Arenas Gordas during a storm after the battle.
The model represents the RAYO as it would have been on its way to the Battle of Trafalgar.
The model arrived from Spain in the summer of 2016. RAYO had been commissioned and was awaiting pick up when I visited Curro in Badajoz on May of 2016. About a month an a half later, I saw the model was up for sale on Facebook. I knew the chances of it arriving home in good condition were slim to none, but I had to give it a chance! Included are some images of the model being made by Curro in 2015 and of some in transit images on its way to its new home.

412990766.jpg

412990767.jpg

412990768.jpg

412990769.jpg

412990770.jpg

412990772.jpg

412990771.jpg

412990773.jpg

412990774.jpg

412990775.jpg

412990776.jpg

412990777.jpg

412990778.jpg

412990779.jpg

412990780.jpg

412990782.jpg

412990783.jpg

412990784.jpg

412990786.jpg

412990787.jpg

412990788.jpg

412990762.jpg

Last edited:
That is quite magnificent. Congratulations on the acquisition Eduardo. A beautiful and important historic vessel. A great example of a dedicated warship of the era.
Did you have significant repairs to make when it arrived? I've also purchased a couple of much simpler assembled sailing ship models and I've always had the pleasure of repairing damage to the masts and rigging. Very difficult to ship.

If I am ever in Puerto Rico again I hope you'll allow me to visit. You have an amazing and eclectic collection of miniatures and models.

If you ever come to PR you better let me know! jajaja!
The box was scary in that the wood was very thin plywood (less than 1/4 inch) and not reinforced except for some 1/2 inch by 2"pieces in the corners. There are restrictions on the materials, it can only be some special plywood to avoid pests etc.Going through customs here in PR is always a trauma. Not sure where the box was hit, but you can see the major cracks in the wood and then they wrapped everything in saran wrap to strengthen it. It took about three months from purchase to it arriving home in my wife's pick up truck!
As incredible as it sounds, when I opened the crate, there was an odd piece in the second gun deck. A yellow blob of metal and hard plastic. Near the piece, there were two figures knocked off and a cross brace(one of the two in the center hole of the top deck) knocked off. I could not figure out what that piece was. It turns out it is a container seal. Something they place on the container locks to ensure that it has not been opened! How it found its way there, I have no idea, but somewhere in customs they removed the top off and I guess someone dropped that piece inside the crate unintentionally. It could have done a lot of damage. lf you look at the base of the model, it is very thin wood with what looks like some putty making up the "sea" and that is the base. The ship is placed inside the base but not glued to it. The ship was tied to the base. A series of wooden blocks were holding the edge of the base to a wooden base piece around which the crate was built.
A miracle if you ask me that it arrived as it did. Initially when I saw the firs timage from the customs broker I thought the strings holding the ship were rigging that had broken off!
So all in all as good a trip as could be expected. About a month later Curro sent a bigger model to Colombia, a beautiful rendition of the "Glorioso" and I was concerned for that model too. Happily it arrived to its destination, a museum in Cartagena. Check out Curro Agudo Mangas on facebook. He does some incredible work and shares many of his wip images.

I then had the plexiglass case made here together with the simple base/table to complete the display.
When I visited Curro in Badajoz last May, he mentioned there was a naval museum in San Juan. I had never heard of it! Oh my! He told me he had made some small models for the museum, so after buying the Rayo but long before it arrived, I visited the museum. I recognized his work immediately in a small launch type vessel with one gun and a small sail and oars. His style is very distinctive as he paints everything in oils. Slight weathering and just an incredible finish. I told the attendant in the museum if that piece was from a modeler in Spain and he confirmed it. I told him I had been to his workshop and that his models were AMAZING! He then told me that they would love to commission other models "but that they had not done it as the model would be destroyed in transit"! jajaja! NOT what I wanted to hear at that moment! I looked at my wife and she was looking at me! jajajaja!
The images do not do the model justice, so looking forward to you taking a look at it in person!

A truly wonderful model. The only tells that it is a model are the size of the rigging pulleys which are almost impossible to make in perfect scale.

Eduardo,

Congratulations on a magnificent acquisition. Not only is the model amazing, but also the lack of any damage during shipment. Having shipped many large and fragile items, none of mine were of this caliber.

Your home must be turning into quite a museum. Will there be reservations for guided tours?

Congrads again
Leonard
RTT

No reservations needed!
But let me know when you are coming to PR as the displays are not always open.
And I can always set up a temporary display of some of the vehicles that are stored and not displayed.
Had a big display a year ago which was fun and last weekend had a big gathering using the RAYO as the excuse! ;)

I sure enjoy "sharing the madness"!

Last edited:
That is fantastic Eduardo, missed this one.

Wow really.

A fine job and build.

And I like the man's collection at his shop, r is that your collection in the first photos?

Jeff

Hello Jeff,
In the background is a dispkay cabinet I have in my home's first floor where I have had some of my toy soldiers for the last 20 years. Things got complicated when 1/6 came into my life in 2001!

Goid question! I have an area on second floor that it would fit perfectly, where I have my unworked on Panther. The problem is that it would take a major effort to get it uostairs.
The acryluc cover weighs about 80 pounds.
Would have to slude the whole thing off its table(probably scratching it), place some 2x4 on the floor and pkace the base and acryluc case on them. Then lift the case, which is impossible to grab and place it on other 2x4s( to be able to grab them later!)
Then take the table, then the cover, then the base and then the ship upstairs.
Then assemble it uostairs and roll it to its spot.
I don't think that will happen any time soon. So fir now I can roll it in the luving room/ dining/ den area... It might never get to its intended spot...

Awesome model - but I'd have heart attack shipping it like that! Glad it survived. The water like base is amazing as well. Very cool.

Bob

Back