• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

What would "Gebirgs Artillery ... consist of?

Gebirgs

Rifleman
What would "Gebirgs Artillery Regiment, 1 Staff Battery" consist of? and since they were artillery, what insignia would they wear? regular red with edilwiess insignias?

Gebirgs";p="16527 said:
What would "Gebirgs Artillery Regiment, 1 Staff Battery" consist of? and since they were artillery, what insignia would they wear? regular red with edilwiess insignias?

Servus Jäger Gebirgs,

Thanks for your question. When I typed out the Org chart in my previous post the indentations didn't stay when it was posted. So I think it is a little confusing.

So, within the Gebirgs Artillery Regiment there is 1 Staff Battery which consists of 1 Gebirgs Signal Platoon, 1 (mot) Weathter Detachment, and a Regimental Band. Hope that is a little clearer.

As to the Waffenfarbe of the members of the Gebirgs Artillery Regiment, it would be red and they would be wearing both the sleeve and cap Edelweiß. Only the Gebirgsjäger Regiments (mt. Infantry Rgt.) wore the green Waffenfarbe...all other units within the Gebirgsdivision would wear their appropreate branch color.

Gebirgsartillerie vor!

Thanks so much, My big intrest is Gebirgs & German Artillery.

What kind of weaponry would a Artillery regiment have? How many men would man a crew? what rank would these soldaten hold?

Thanks,
Johann

Servus Jäger Gebirgs,

The Gebirgsartillerie had a variety of both German guns and captured guns. There were 3 main mountain guns that they used. All of them were 75mm in caliber.

First was the Gebirgskanone 15 which was originally a Austro-Hungarian gun, made by Skoda, from the First World War. Most European countries used this weapon into World War II. I found this one rusting away at the US Naval Academy
gebk156sg.jpg

Next is the leichtes Gebirgsinfanteriegeschütz 18 which was a modified leIG 18 for mountain service.
gebig188jd.jpg

And the third mountain gun was the Gebirgsgeschütz 36.
gebg362vq.jpg

Here is a standard GebG36 gun crew:
gebg36crewammoboxes9wd.jpg

Also, here is an chart for a Gebirgsinfanteriegeschütz zug from www.wwiidaybyday.com. You will notice how many Gebirgsjägers and horses/mules it took just to support 2 artillery guns!
gebigzug016wv.jpg

gebigzug024bf.jpg

gebigzug034al.jpg

gebigzug044fh.jpg

gebigzug056vk.jpg

gebigzug064zd.jpg

Gebirgsartillerie vor!

Back