Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > General Quarters

General Quarters General 1:6 WWII Discussion Forum

Old 05-30-2011, 01:36 AM   #1
Ssgtbear
Machine Gunner

Southeastern Toy Soldier Show Cola. SC - August 13, 2011

Southeastern Toy Soldier Show August 13, 2011. South Carolina State Museum Columbia, South Carolina.

SC State Museum
301 Gervais Street
Columbia, SC 29201

I have been for the past 5 years. Always seem to find some good loose bits. This is a show that has anything from 1/72 to 1/6 scale items. Living reenactments and such, as well.

Exquisitely detailed military miniature figures or the little plastic G.I. Joes from your childhood, they’re all here at the Southeastern Toy Soldier Show. See, buy, or trade toy soldiers or other military miniatures from various periods of history and enjoy special museum programs presented during the day.

From old to new, metal to plastic, an array of toy soldiers and military collectibles can be bought, traded, or admired at the South Carolina State Museum’s Southeastern Toy Soldier Show.

More than 30 exhibitors from across the South will display their collections of toy soldiers, or “military miniatures,” in this annual presentation. Miniature tanks, planes, cannons and vehicles, as well as books, will also be available for purchase from exhibitors. See living history reenactments on the museum’s front grounds. Reenactors will recreate Civil War and World War II British soldiers, plus Roman legionnaires. In addition, military vehicles from the World War II and Vietnam eras will be shown.

More military miniatures will be on display in the South Carolina Military Miniature Society’s annual diorama

For more information about the Southeastern Toy Soldier Show or the military miniature diorama, contact Fritz Hamer at (803) 898-4921.

PM or e-mail me with any questions.

Boyd

Last edited by Ssgtbear; 07-28-2011 at 12:13 AM. Reason: date
Ssgtbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:13 AM   #2
Ssgtbear
Machine Gunner

re: Southeastern Toy Soldier Show Cola. SC - August 13, 2011

Update 7/27/2011

Vendors:

Toy Chest and Collectibles

Scott Barksdale Customs and loose parts

Many 1/32 scale, 1/18 scale, models and miniatures dealers as well. Living History and reanactors as well.

Show starts at 10:00 am.

Come on out and see all the custom figures, dioramas and check out the museums wonderful collections as well.

Thanks,

Boyd
Old 08-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
JOSH51st
Sniper

Re: Southeastern Toy Soldier Show Cola. SC - August 13, 2011

This may not be a 1:6th specific show, but it is fun with lots to see and do and the museum is cool and great for kids. So if you're in NC and SC, stop by. We can make it a trading day or just a get together. There's not much in the Carolinas, so lets make the best of what we have...

-JOSH
JOSH51st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
Ssgtbear
Machine Gunner

Here's an updated story from the newspaper "THE TIMES and DEMOCRAT"

The world of toy soldiers and "military miniatures" is once again featured as the South Carolina State Museum presents its 20th annual Southeastern Toy Soldier Show on Saturday, Aug. 13.
Beginning at 10 a.m., more than 30 exhibitors from across the South will display and offer for sale a vast array of military collectible figures.
"The toy soldiers represent every period of history, as well as a variety of decades," Director of Operations Meika Samuel said. "Past shows have included such figures as Hannibal and his elephants, Egyptian pharaohs, Vikings, Russian czars and czarinas, and knights of the Round Table. There are even miniatures of historical figures such as Henry VIII, Washington, Grant and Lee, Churchill and Queen Elizabeth II, to name a few."
Toy soldiers will not be the only items of interest. Miniature tanks, planes, cannons and vehicles, as well as books, will also be available for purchase from exhibitors. Although many pieces are aimed at the serious collector, enthusiasts of all ages will find items to tempt them at modest prices.
More military miniatures will be on display in the South Carolina Military Miniature Society's annual diorama.
"This year's diorama is an historical depiction of war in Afghanistan in the late 1880s," said Fritz Hamer, chief curator of history. "The British demanded an uninvited diplomatic mission to Kabul in 1878."
Sher Ali Khan, the Amir of Afghanistan, not only refused to receive a British mission under Neville Bowles Chamberlain, but threatened to stop it if it were dispatched. The mission was turned back as it approached the eastern entrance of the Khyber Pass, thus triggering the Second Anglo-Afghan War. The particular scene of the diorama shows the North-West Frontier campaigns of the Victorian army.
In addition, the society will set up a number of other dioramas, from basic to detailed, Hamer said. One will depict paratroopers from World War II, while another will illustrate a scene from the Civil War in observance of this year's 150th anniversary of the conflict's beginning.
"These scenes should be fascinating depictions of these unique times in history," Hamer said. "The society's members conduct extensive research so that each diorama accurately reflects its period. I've worked with this group for 20 years, and every year they produce something amazing."
Guests will also see living history re-enactors on the front grounds. Demonstrations of how soldiers camped out and trained will be presented during the day by the South Carolina Volunteer Infantry. Other military reenactor groups will display a military timeline ranging from the Revolutionary War through Desert Storm and military vehicles from World War II through Vietnam.

Come on out and see all the dioramas and enjoy the museum. Many members from the SAG and Sixth Division will be there.

Boyd
Old 08-15-2011, 04:30 AM   #5
Sixth Vanguard
Board Flunky, aka Site Admin

Any after action reports on this? Hope everyone had a good time.
Sixth Vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
Ssgtbear
Machine Gunner

Intel Report from the show:

I do not know the total number who attended the show, but a lot of people were there. The show opened at 10:00 AM and lasted till about 4:00 PM. There were many vendors present. Mostly Military miniatures, but many items of all scales were available at great prices. There were even several members present that did some trading of 1/6 scale goodies. There were many reenactors present. They covered many time frames from Roman soldiers, World War I, World War II, Vietnam and modern day troops.

The board members who attended had a great time. Many were able to get together and talk about the hobby during the show. I enjoyed seeing many of the veterans of the hobby as well as some new faces. Here is a list of board members that I saw attending the show(if I left you out, please let me know).

Cory Lord -Toy Chest and Collectibles
Wes - Wes' Custom Creations
Josh - Josh51st
Scott B. - Panzeriv
Scott Barksdale - Barksdale's Custom Emblems
Oscar- dthstrk
Andy- andy101506
Boyd - Ssgtbear (Myself)

There were many good deals at the show. I picked up some great German ration sets from Wes. Some loose uniforms from Cory, he had a great deal on many items but the AH 250 was the best deal I heard about. Picked up some great trade items from Scott B. I enjoyed meeting Andy and his wife as well. I hope everyone had a good time. I had to leave at 2:30 to meet my wife, so I did not get to stay to the end. Here are a few pics I took. Sorry I did not get to take more pictures.

Until next year.

Cheers,

Boyd
Old 08-16-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
Sixth Vanguard
Board Flunky, aka Site Admin

Thanks for the update and pics. Good to see some familiar faces. Looks like fun.
Sixth Vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:16 AM   #8
Hammer Six
Company Commander

Boyd:

Great shots. Looks like the show was a great success.

Queen of Battle "Follow Me"

Sixth Scale Collectors Club-Cincinnati OH

ut morte tyranni

Hammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
thetoysurgeon
Battalion Commander

I wish I could have gone. I have a daughter to marry off and all my extra cash and more importantly TIME goes to getting that done. I'll be there next year. Being a Sandlapper, I am ashamed not going to events in my home state. I'll make it next year.

Dennis
Old 08-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #10
panzeriv
Platoon Leader

Thanks for posting the report Boyd. Its always great to meet up with my 6th scale buddies and catch up. Good seeing you again Boyd and I'm looking forward to my goodie bag.
Dennis we missed you.

Scott B
Old 08-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #11
Ssgtbear
Machine Gunner

We did miss you Dennis. Good luck with the wedding. Scott, your goody bag is packed. Just need to take it to the post office.

Boyd
Old 08-18-2011, 03:07 AM   #12
Panzercommander HOH
Battalion Commander

Very cool stuff guys! Glad you had a great time at the show and that it was a success!

Fred

The SSCC on Facebook
Panzercommander HOH is offline   Reply With Quote