• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

A rescued tunic: Captain of the Algonquin Regiment of Canada.

Ortona

Marksman
I had this old tunic that I had dyed greenish for Canadian use, but I messed up the insignia for another unit, and so I removed the patches. But the glue residue - Fabric Tac - was too much, and so I tossed the tunic onto the reject pile. But Dragon mid-production M37 British tunics just can no longer be found, so I decided to apply new insignia to cover the old glue spots, and reuse the jacket. I was for the most part successful, but two tiny specs can still be seen above the green 4th CAD armored patch. They cannot be seen in person, but annoyingly they show up under the photographic lights. I will perform a delicate Exacto-blade scrape-surgery later on and remove them. A similar spot appears behind the Canada flash. I have this love/hate relationship with Fabric Tac. Under normal lighting, these spots are nearly invisible, but I just can't stand knowing that they are there!

I also had this cool British officer's cap which came with a Cyber Hobby Euro release. He was an officer with the Cold Stream Guards (Cold Cream Jars?) - you know, the expensive dude with zero kit! I removed the cap badge and replaced it with a bronze painted Algonquin cap badge supplied by Tony Barton. The figure and gear is the same as the Westminster officer that I made recently, but with just a tunic and hat swap.

I also taped and rolled a piece of paper towel around his waist, to help hold the belt in place on the tunic reinforce band. It often slips up higher, but it was meant to sit astride the tunic buckle.

0-4 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-3 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-2 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-1 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

Nice looking Captain, the unit patches and rank look great. What glue spots? Glad you were able to reuse the jacket. Thanks for showing the Captain.

Great-looking Canadian officer and I agree, the cap really...er...caps it off very nicely. Having seen all your threads to-date, would be great to see a group shot of them all. British battledress, I've found, is getting harder to find...particularly the early DML variants and particularly if you have a large group getting larger and want to remain with one type rather than differing shades as the DML 'Soldat' para, the recent DiD issues and the generic battledress fitted to DML's Brit figures all differ and do stand-apart when viewed together. At the moment, I've been saving up on the clobber in order to one day put together a large story of Brit paras during WW2 for one of the local ScaleACT shows (sort of an enlarged variant of the 'MARKET GARDEN' dioramas I did back in 2014). All part of the hobby I guess. Cheers, Steve

Back