• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

DAK questions...

Dougmo

Battalion Commander
Thanks for joing our board, Ron. We're grateful for your contributions-

Would it be correct for a circa 1941 DAK tanker to carry a pistol on a lanyard in his pocket instead of a pistol case on his belt? It seems like a good idea, and if so probably a P-38? Also, might a MG 34 gunner carrying the weapon - not an assistant - get by without an e-tool? I just don't want to get too far off base. Thanks!

I very much appreciate all the welcoming comments
and I'll try to help out when I'm able. Certainly my friend Patrick "Heeresbergfuhrer" can certainly answer many of your questions and so can the SAG membership as I've
noticed.

As for your second question, yes, items of equipment went astray from time to time. While any soldier might consider his entrenching tool as second only to his weapon for survival's sake, I have seen photos of machine gunners without the shovel.

As for the pistol being carried in a pocket with a lanyard attached, perhaps it did happen, but most likely with a smaller pistol and no lanyard (that's something that was just looking for a chance to snag when a quick exit might be preferred). Personally, I'd be looking for period photos or narratives that confirmed such a practice. Certainly,
the mass of photographic evidences shows the standard belt and holster were preferred.

Cheers,
Ron V

Since we're talking about the wearing of equipment I have some observations that I could add.

From what I've seen on images of soldiers stationed in France, Belgium, The Netherlands, etc from 1940 - 1944, I noticed that I saw a variety in the stuff same ranking soldiers carried along. They all wore the same basics: Beadbag, water container, ammo pouches.

But I saw a small minority of them not carrying an E-tool.
(mainly gunners indeed but also an occasional regular soldier)
I'm guessing this is because they rarely had to dig in during the Western
Offense & occupation. (aside from the Ardennes Campaign)

And there were also a few not carrying gasmask containers.
This could possibly be explained because of the lack of gasmask usage then? Because frankly I don't understand why they kept those gasmasks for the entire duration of the war when hardly any gas weapons were used.

The only usage of a gasmask on picture that I have seen was from DAK.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but this has been the image I received from observing a wide variety of original pictures.

DAK

I checked a bunch of my books and found no evidence of a factory made pistol holder pockets in the uniforms, like the Bundeswehr of the 1970's and 1980's had in their tankers coveralls (the pistol was stored in a pocket in the armpit). Most of the tankers just had a belt and pistol holster. I didn't find any pictures either of men carrying the a pistol in their pocket, that doesn't mean it wasn't possible.

As for the entrenching tool, that too looks like both or just one of a MG crew would have one, I guess it was just preferance of equipment or what was available to the soldiers.

Hope this helps...........Hammer

Thanks so much, guys. I was intrigued by a recent question that featured the tanker from Kelly's Heroes who was sporting a lanyard with his pistol in his front pocket...just something that I'd not seen before.

Unkn0wn";p="47045 said:
Because frankly I don't understand why they kept those gasmasks for the entire duration of the war when hardly any gas weapons were used.

A DAK vet once said that gasmask containers were water and dust proof, many troops kept personal stuff in them...

neil

Back