• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Expert Fally opinion request

SLICK7

Company Commander
I am nearly finished my FJ mortar team for my dio with my troopers. I still need to weather the kits and weapons. I know the side tie boots are outdated for the Bocage but i had them and they are leather (pleather) so I am going to use them. I look forward to your opinions. SLICK.

fj002.jpg

fj003.jpg

fj001.jpg

fj004.jpg

fj005.jpg

fj006.jpg

fj007.jpg

fj008.jpg

fj009.jpg

fj010.jpg

fj011.jpg

the boots arent that big of a deal, cause some older soldeirs would have still retain them over the years. also they would have been continued to be issued untill stocks were used up. i would maybe mixed them in with some front lace boots to even it out. the only thing i really notice, is that ur soldeir holding the mortor has a ss belt on and his litzen is red that of flak or arty. another has a heer belt. at the time of normandy falscrims would had a mixture of gear as the luftwaffe stuff was a little harder to get as far as the brown leather stuff instead of the black standard stuff. belt buckles would had been something that pretty much every soldeir should of had. i really like the helmets and the weathering is also a very nice touch to the group

Thanks everybody for the feedback. Very helpful and useful. To weather the boots and the uniforms i use Doc O'Brien's weathering powder from Micro Mark. Search Results - Micro-Mark
I use fine sandpaper to weather the fabric and leather then brush on the powder. layering the colors gives an even more realistic look. You have to be careful with the grimmy black because it is unforgiving.

Great looking group of fig's, the only thing I would suggest is to reduce the saturation of the color, most photo software has the ability to do this easily, here's an example. a pic with the saturation reduced

fj003_original.jpg

and the original

fj003.jpg

I did this using my iPhoto software and just reduced the saturation a little. being most of us use point and shoot digital cameras, it's hard to adjust certain settings and the cameras tend to capture too much sometimes, this is a nice little trick that adds a touch of realism imo

I think your fj mortar team look brilliant, excellent weathering on the boots, can't wait to see them up against your airborne troopers. Good job.

First and foremost, the figures look fantastic! I've been involved with my son's FJ reenacting unit for years and have picked up some info from "the group" and from some very helpful veterans. You might switch the mortar to the Wgr 42, (the short version of the 81mm mortar) the 5cm mortar was pretty rare by 1944. Any mortar team would be packed with ammo, everyone would be carrying extra mortar ammo or mg ammo. I've seen reenactors carry 5 belts of mg ammo. Ammunition goes very fast, so everyone humps some extra! You might also have an old vet with a green smock. According to the real vets, the green smocks were the badge of experience and authority, so they kept them as long as possible. I'll post some picks of our reenactors' mortar team.
299191_294827927198655_100000143513235_1372044_395515610_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back