• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Help making a figure of relative

Airman67

Rifleman
Hi, Im new I've bee tring to make a figure of my grandfather form when in the Philippines in the USAAF as a suppliy staff-sergant I also need a figure that would reprasent a 6ft6in tall man

I've made figures of different heights by cutting the legs around the calf and either removing a piece or adding a piece. After cutting, drill a hole in the legs and reattach using a length of 1/8" metal rod epoxied in place.

Could take one figure and remove a 1/2" of leg and use that for the taller figure, after adding the rod and the epoxy has dried the calf can then be shaved and filled rather than having a "stepped" calf. There have been other mdthods shown in the forum, but this is the one that works for me.

Got to admit that the first time cutting the legs felt kinda weird. My spouse walked in and asked "What the hell are you doing now?!"

Leonard
RTT

In answer to the uniform question, The best thing is if you can find some photos of him and try to depict what you see.
There are a lot of different orders of dress you could do him in. For working dress, I'd go with either HBT cover alls or with the two piece work suit. Either would be OK. For a cap there is the daisey may (Dragon has done them and included them in their USMC carded sets. Kinda hard to find and they need some tweeking to look good.) The other cap choice was the engineer style cap (similar to the USMC cover Dragon has done)
The best one I've found is the cap that comes with the Gear Box toys HBT set. The shape is great, no one seems to really do the right fabric.
Some other choices for the Philippines: Use the tan uniform that came with Dragon's Jack Sullivan. Battle gear toys does some over seas caps which will go along good with it.I don't know if the offer them in Air corp blue and yellow piping, you may have to customize that part. Or if he is an early or even pre war figure, give him a Battle gear toys campaign hat. (For that From here to Eternity look)
If you are depicting him on an airbase,you will want to stencil his rank on to his HBT's, he would wear the standard embroidered rank stripes on his tan uniform. (stripes should be white three with one rocker for S/Sgt)
One more note about caps. Checking images online I see that with the Air Corp there is also a lot of examples of guys wearing what looks like a tan ball cap. It has a low crown and a long bill. I don't know if these were issued or something guys just bought and wore.
So there you go, probably too much information, but I hope some of it helps.

Tim

The gumby legged DML nude is quite tall and you could also use a SST nude which in scale should be close to 6'6".
As for uniforms I have no idea. In such a tall figure the uniforma might be tougher than getting the nude.

I think he was there 44-45 I could ask my relatives, they would know more
thanks for all the help

Last edited:
Okay I've got the figure, just need the uniform ,footwear and gear what would he be wearing on his feet ankle boots, or buckle boots. through talking to my uncles, grandmother, and mom they all said that my grandpa was indirectly in combat, would someone in suppliy have a weapon, .45, carbine?

1944 45 Philippines. You can't go wrong if you give him Herring bone twill fatiques. Give him the ones with the thigh pockets (cargo pockets) He's a S/sgt from supply so he's part of the HQ group. Most likely weapon is a carbine or even a Thompson (he's in supply so he'd get his hands on a good weapon.) same goes for a side arm. He would have access to a .45 so he'd most likely hang on to one. Plain helmet, no netting or helmet cover. Boots, I've seen lots of pictures of both buckle tops and rough outs with leggings in the Philippines. You can't go wrong either way. On the HBT's you some times saw rank stencilled on. But in the Pacific it was as likely not to wear rank. Once again this is a personal thing so no one can tell you one way or the other for sure. Sometimes you even see embroidered chevrons on HBT work dress. As I mentioned before, if you can get your hands on a gearbox toys engineer style cap. That would be very good.
guadalcanal-1.jpg

This is a picture of US soldiers (not Marines) on guadalcanal you can see the very casual style of dress. Hot and muggy, same as the philippines.
Hope this helps a little.

Tim

That's a question with a lot of answers. It' depends how much you want to weather and distress things. all kinds of tricks are good, fine sand paper to make wear spots, pastels to add dirt. etc etc. Dry brushing with paints.
Just surf through the ground pounders section here, or use the search feature for "weathering" you're bound to find some ideas.

Tim

Back