• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

I made 3 Canadian uniforms that I have no figures for!

Ortona

Marksman
Sigh.

0 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

Left to Right:

Captain, Westminster Motorized Infantry Regiment, 5th Canadian Armored Division, Monte Cassino, spring 1944.

Corporal, Cape Breton Highlanders, 5th Canadian Armoured Division, the Gothic Line, Adriatic front, summer 1944.

Corporal, North Nova Scotia Highlanders, 3rd Canadian Infantry Division, "The Orchard", just inland of Juno Beach, June 7th, 1944.

The Cape Breton Highlander corporal was inspired by a picture I found online. His insignia is a mismatch of pre and post July uniform regulations. He wears the new regimental rocker patch in bright orange-red "Cape Breton Highlanders Canada", but he also retains the old insignia, a maroon rectangular divisional patch with CBH imprinted on it. The newer regulations called for the old division patch to be replaced with just a solid maroon square. He he proudly wears both identifiers, as if to tell the new recruits that he is an old veteran, and doubly proud of his regiment!

0-1 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

The captain's jacket was an example of the old method, exclusive to the 5th CAD: The WESTMR.R printed on the divisional square, and a "Canada" flash above. Also, any patch that did not contain the words "Canada" or "Canadian", required an extra identifier patch beneath, just as the North Nova's uniform has.

The insignia is CVI, with the edges painted. The captain rank pips are from DID's Robert Coleman.

Last edited:
You got me! Last night I sacrificed a generic British Para from my troops and transferred him into the North Novas! The webbing is BBI's modified except for the small pack and gas bag. It is painted Vallejo's "Middlestone" to simulate Blanco KG1. Blanco was uncommon with Canadian troops, but it was used. The North Novas was one of the first regiments to hit Juno Beach, and they were equipped with the new "turtle" Mark III helmets and the invasion boots. Only those canucks that came ashore in the first wave got these items, they being so rare.

The helmet is BBI's with a redone chin strap. The netting is Jim Gordon's, painted dark olive.

0-2 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

The custom invasion boots I got from Johnny Canuck Canada.

0-3 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

I think another generic Red Devil is getting a transfer into the Cape Breton Highlanders later today!

I made another Canadian Jacket, sadly, once again, without a figure to put it on!

This is for a sergeant in the "Queens Own Rifles of Canada". The regimental patch is from the awesome Sixth Scale King folks, the Canada flash (required if the title does not include the word 'Canada') is CVI, and the 3rd Division formation patch and the stripes are custom made by moi. Unfortunately, the thick paper stock I used for the stripes has a mild sheen to it that the other three do not have. I heard that the special black-over-red, royal-rifle-regiment stripes were often replaced in theater with standard khaki ones, because they made the wearer a more tempting target. Ditto the Regina Rifles of Canada. The patches are fixed with Fabric-tack, my old nemesis.

The jacket is DID's new paratrooper officer battledress, which I don't like. It will not take a dye-tint, not even slightly, and the weave is much larger than Dragon's 'King and Country' version, making it not as scale-able. But this is all that is available these days, so beggars can't be ... blah blah ...

The sheen is readily observable from this angle on the left side. I used thick red paper stock which initially appeared to be flat.

Back