• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Leichter Panzerspähwagen Sd.Kfz.222 Ausf B, 5 series

rivetcounter

Platoon Leader
Leichter Panzerspähwagen Sd.Kfz.222 Ausf B, 5 series

This is my Armortek Sd.Kfz.222 which has been rebuilt and repainted to represent a vehicle from the Aufklärungs-Abteilung of 2. Panzer Division.

December 1943 2.Panzer Division was withdrawn from Russia to France for refitting the Aufklärungs-Abteilung stayed behind and joined the rest of the Division in France during January 1944 this gave the division several months for training, servicing of vehicles and collecting new vehicles to bring the division up to full strength.

No doubt during this time older vehicles would have been given a thorough inspection repairing any damage and a full repaint.

This is how I got the 222 before I started the rebuild

Then the work to strip and rebuild started

Gun mount was scratch built using the Dragon 2cm Flak38

The correct size and shape grenade screen was scratch built

New wheels and hubs from Liam Mahoney in Australia were added these are absolutely amazing in detail

Drivers visors were opened and hinges from Werkstatt – 5 added

Thank you all for your nice comments.
The Dutchman it may be sometime before I do a video but I will post one when I can.

12th SS HJ were issued Sd.Kfz234/2 Puma, I have only found a few divisions who had the 222 in Normandy, 17th SS, 2.Pz.Div 20.Pz.Div most divisions were being equipped with the newer and more capable Puma.

Of the only 101 Pumas built, (Sd.kfz.234/2), 66 fought in Normandy:

2nd Panzer Division had 25
Panzer Lehr had 25
LSSAH had 16.

(The rest went to the 8th and 20th army PD's, with possibly one going to the Brandenburg Division. )

The 12th SS only had 2nd-PD's old hand-me-downs, the 222's, 223's, 231's and 232's. Since the 1st and 12 SS often fought together, that may explain the common belief the the latter had over been issued any.

I saw a photo of them being turned over in France, in one of the 12th history books, and they are identified in the caption as having come from the 2nd Heer PD. I'll look for the exact reference.

That is a beautiful vehicle. Like the others, I'd love to see a video of it in action.

Thanks for sharing the rebuild.

Back