• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

M8 HMC turret mantle canvas cover attatchment.

weaselt24

Rifleman
Hello everyone.
Looking for the above info for M8HMC project. Been all over with no luck!
I'm sure there had to be one, since " Lit the Dot" canvas mounting stud provisions are on the mantle from surviveing examples.
Thanks.
Al

There's an m8 over at the american heritage museum in Hudson MA. I think there's a marine landing craft that has the same turrent. Not sure if you're anywhere near that.

https://www.americanheritagemuseum.org/

Can't say enough about the quality of their exhibits. All the armor you've dreamed of, in running condition.

I've only gotten there once, but i'm itching to go again.

Thanks for the tip Squidly. Checked the link and found their M8 Scott. No mantle cover unforunately. Thanks for trying.

There's an m8 over at the american heritage museum in Hudson MA. I think there's a marine landing craft that has the same turrent. Not sure if you're anywhere near that.

https://www.americanheritagemuseum.org/

Can't say enough about the quality of their exhibits. All the armor you've dreamed of, in running condition.

I've only gotten there once, but i'm itching to go again.

Do you know if they ever found the breach block to the Flak 88? I was last there in 2018 and they had sold one of the Spanish post war 88s (they had 2, sold the one they blew up with an overcharged blank years ago) & bought a real wartime German one. Then they promptly lost the breach block from one. I forget exactly which but it came up when the other Spanish 88 was to be used for their reenactment.

A lot of their stuff came from the Littlefield Collection. Which is great they can be stewards of history and continue to preserve these vehicles. Jacques Littlefield & Bob Collings have always been in a world most will never attain due to their wealth. My big problem was Bob had the balls to ask the reenactors to donate gear & equipment to his museum for the vignettes. That was a hard no, we’d just wasted days off work to spend money to be there all to play in his staged farb-fest in exchange for a bag of the cheapest blanks and some pink sheet cake. It was different when he pulled out original vehicles for the event. Now it’s just replicas that reenactors bring since everything cool is a permanent exhibit.

If I sound spiteful, it’s because of the injuries. I got injured in my eye because of poor safety on the part of their pyrotechnician. A friend almost lost his eye there for the same reasons just much worse. Not to mention the blown up 88 breaking a guys arm. It’s not a Collings event without someone going to the hospital. And Bob ignoring it. His “battle for the airfield” is a safety nightmare.

Hello from Spain the publishing house wwp books has what I think is a good book .... I have all the German from this publishing house and they are exquisite.
That said, which I hope can be of help, I wanted to comment that Spain never had Flak 88 from "postwar"? , all the material that came to Spain was in the years 41/42 with the bar plan, bear in German, material in use in the wermacht at that time
Another very different thing is that it was the latest model or even the models in use in the German armed forces at that time ... They always got rid of what had been in storage the longest by giving it a facelift ... Yes If you are interested in the subject, there is a web page that specifies all the material acquired by Spain, from the famous Panzer IV, from the war against Israel, by the way the last war waged by this vehicle, and sold by Spain to Syria. Even light generators or ammunition

... Greetings. :wink:

https://wwpbooks.com/en/home/499-greyhound-in-detail.html

Fair enough. I believe you, you would know Spanish ww2 era history better than I can. Unfortunately I do not have pictures of the Flak guns in question (above picture is war time German cannon). I recall seeing dates after 1946 on the other guns’ breech and what I was told were Spanish words & markings. I was told these guns were assembled post war with German parts. I admit that does not mean anything. Possibly they were sent to a different Spanish speaking country. The markings & writing may not even have been Spanish.

I would believe those published books over anything written or said at Colling’s AHM.

As I told you, the Franco government bought material from Germany, and if I remember correctly it was paid in spices .... grain, minerals, and if I do not misunderstand and I do not remember correctly the war effort was also deducted from the debt for the Blue Division (Div. 250) ... If it is true that Spain manufactured artillery pieces of 155, I do not remember the nomenclature, there were several 4 or 5 but luckily for the enemy the Spanish steel is not Krupp and after several shots the cannons bent ...
The issue of stamps in bedrooms, markings and etc, may be due to normalizations of the national armaments factory ...
For example, in the 50th the zimmerit was withdrawn from the stug g (15) they bought, because the head of the destination unit did not like that the cement was broken in different parts, due to the bad impression that the vehicles gave , so the cement was removed and repainted ... to make them look pretty in the parades.
Spain is different .... Jejejeje :amer_rollin:

Do you know if they ever found the breach block to the Flak 88? I was last there in 2018 and they had sold one of the Spanish post war 88s (they had 2, sold the one they blew up with an overcharged blank years ago) & bought a real wartime German one. Then they promptly lost the breach block from one. I forget exactly which but it came up when the other Spanish 88 was to be used for their reenactment.

A lot of their stuff came from the Littlefield Collection. Which is great they can be stewards of history and continue to preserve these vehicles. Jacques Littlefield & Bob Collings have always been in a world most will never attain due to their wealth. My big problem was Bob had the balls to ask the reenactors to donate gear & equipment to his museum for the vignettes. That was a hard no, we’d just wasted days off work to spend money to be there all to play in his staged farb-fest in exchange for a bag of the cheapest blanks and some pink sheet cake. It was different when he pulled out original vehicles for the event. Now it’s just replicas that reenactors bring since everything cool is a permanent exhibit.

If I sound spiteful, it’s because of the injuries. I got injured in my eye because of poor safety on the part of their pyrotechnician. A friend almost lost his eye there for the same reasons just much worse. Not to mention the blown up 88 breaking a guys arm. It’s not a Collings event without someone going to the hospital. And Bob ignoring it. His “battle for the airfield” is a safety nightmare.

Yikes! I was there for the "airfield battle" last year. Donno if anyone go hurt, nor am I aware of the fate of the missing breechblock.

I knew that lots of the stuff in the museum was from the littlefield collection, so I was happy when it came to this coast, as I'd never made it to california to see it. It's the nicest stuff I've seen anywhere, including the imperial war museum in london, and some museums in normanday. A different world then the old aberdeen proving ground, where stuff was just rotting slowly.

YOUR WELCOME :). To be fair I was just encouraging skeptically of using a museum restoration as a source. Plus we all got 2 good book recommendations out of your question.

Back