• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Man cave phase 3

47lincsled

Rifleman
Years ago my wife bought me an old 10X50 trailer to make my man cave, it worked good for awhile but I quickly out grew it, I added a 12X12 side room to it for my WW2 stuff, but even that wasn't enough, so a friend gave me a 12X60 trailer that had caught fire in the middle, so I cut 16 feet out of the middle and rolled the two halves together and sealed them up, then the guy who gave me the burnt out trailer gave me the 14X70 that him and his family were living in,they wanted to build a house so the trailer had to go, for awhile that worked but after I built my little house I realized I didn't have any place to put it, another friend had a another 12X60 trailer that the former resident had busted ever single piece of glass out of, so I drug it home and put it behind the first two.
It is a lot rougher then the others were, but I had enough window to replace all the broken ones and ran power to it from the first one,I ripped out the kitchen and the wall between it and the living room, then I ripped out a 10X10 bedroom, I left most of the bedroom back wall which was a bathroom, but I ripped out the walls between the bathroom and the back bedroom, so now I have a 12X14 room in the back and a 47 foot long room up front which will be were I am going to set up my house that I just finished, and I have found a great little water powered sawmill in the black forest that I am going to recreate, with running water!
But first I have some floor problems that need fixing, in every trailer I have stripped out the bathroom and kitchen floors have always needed work, but it is almost ready to start building!
DSC_0009.jpgDSC_0008.jpg

This trailer is strictly for displays, the first trailer is the work shop and my reloading/game room, the second trailer is already being used for two diorama layouts and my WW2 museum.
I will be able to have a 6 foot wide table to build my sawmill and house dio on, and it will be about 30 feet long, so I will probably add in a few more items, the back bedroom is going to be for a large caliper gun emplacement!
DSC_0005.jpgDSC_0007.jpg

I have the kitchen floor put back together after fixing soft spots under the sink, the last owner laid down 1X6 tongue and groove wood in the kitchen, but he laid it around the sink and cabinets,which I stripped out, so I had bare spots, luckily he got the wood at a local sawmill and they had some I could buy to fill the empty spaces, of course the wood doesn't match to old stuff but most of it will be under the display table I'm going to build.
When I put the big trailer in a couple years ago I hung 4 foot fluorescence light fixtures and bought some cheap chinese LED replacement bulbs, they put out so much interference that it made it impossible to hear the radio for the static, and I can't work without music, I tried everythhing I could find online to fix it and finally bought some better bulbs from Hone Depot, still chinese but no static, so when I finally had everything stripped out of my latest trailer I hung four fixture in the kitchen/front room/ bedroom room, it's 41 feet long and the original light fixtures didn't give off enough light, I was hoping because they are almost 20 feet from the radio in the first trailer they wouldn't interfere with it, and luckily they don't, so I have enough light to work and can still hear my music!
I picked up some "mismatched" paint at a outlet stores so once I get the floors and walls all put back where I want then I'll shoot all the walls the same color.
I am very lucky to live outside of town so I can get away with this kind of thing, my neighbors are my dad and my daughter!
DSC_0005.jpgDSC_0007.jpg

LOOKING GOOD SO FAR. I'M SO GLAD YOU ON SAG NOW. YOU SAID THIS NEW TRAILER IS 12 X 60, RIGHT? ARE YOU SURE IT'S BIG ENUFF? LOL, JUST KIDDING.

Well if it isn't I have been told by the people I got this last one from that they will probably have another one in the next year!
The problem with these old trailers is that once they reach a certain age you can longer move them for habitation with in the county, and because we live so far away from everything just getting rid of them can cost thousands! So people are happy to have me drag them off, and I can usually get enough stuff out of them that I don't need to create what I do want, and it's not like I don't have the room, this is a google maps picture of our 5 acre lot, the blue roof house is my wife and I, my dad lives in the angled trailer and the next one is where my oldest daughter lives with her family,including my two grand kids 18 months and 3 years, the best part of having kids is the grandkids!
The trailer I just drug home is placed behind the shorter one, I had to move 2 cars and a camper plus three piles of lumber, but if I want to add another it would be easy!

jk2nOsd.png

I was checking the weather for the next week and it looks like we have a good chance of rain, I knew when I drug this trailer home that it had a couple of leaks in the roof, some how there were two large dents in the roof, right on the seams!
Since the ceiling needed repair because of water damage I just cut those sections out. I used a big bottle jack and a 2X4 with a piece of 2X8 at the top to push out the dented sections, I raised the slightly above the original line so the water would flow around the damaged seams,I'll still have to get up top with some silicone so the rain blowing sideways doesn't get in, but for now it much better then it was!
DSC_0006.jpg

Wow looks like a lot of work!
A lot of vehicles there, I have one of the ‘tri-star’ Mercs and remember when those 1/6 hot rods were at K-Mart didn’t pick one up though.
I like your collection, 1:1 items always add to a the display and you seem to have good ones.
Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Thanks Capt! I bought a couple of those Mercedes, back when they were fairly cheap, one was damaged so I'm going to turn it into touring car!

Since my daughters all came home for Christmas I was able to get the first display table moved into the trailer, it's 5 feet wide and 8 feet long, which looks really big until I put my house on it! The table weighs close to 200 pounds, it was a big pallet that I drug home from the town burn pile, the particle board is a little weather but once I get ground cover it will be fine, it is built heavy duty enough that I can walk on it if I need too!
This is my #3 daughter and my grand son, he's 3 she is 5'6", give a better perspective of the size of all this!
I have the floor all rebuilt and rolled a coat of paint on the walls, not Martha Stewart quality but it looks so much better then before!
DSC_0007.jpgDSC_0005.jpg

Yesterday I was able to pick up some large pallets from my friends place, they are 3 1/2 X 5 foot, they are screwed together so you can save all the materials, you end up with a sheet of 1/2 inch particle board, five 2X4's and three 1X2's, I build a frame of 2X4 and nail the particle board on top of that, then I cut some legs out of 2X4, five per table so they are strong enough for me to walk on!
Right now I have a table that is about 27 feet long, the project that it is being built for is a water powered saw mill, it will be 4 feet wide and 8 feet long! The final table will have to be built a little higher so I can get the water flow to power the mill.
DSC_0005 2.jpgDSC_0007 2.jpg

It looks like a lot of space until you start filling it up with 1/6th scale structures! But it will get me through the next year or so!

Back