• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Project: "CURRAHEE" - Under canopy

SteveKrieg

Company Commander
G'day all,

Just a quick, and currently tricky, one to update. Titled 'Under canopy', this is Scene 5 of the series pertaining to the 101st in Normandy. The one thing I'm trying to figure out (so to speak) is getting the T5 chute right in terms of its 'mushroom' shape which is my one 'sore point' on this particular one-figure scene (that and tidying-up the rigging lines and the connection points to the risers). Currently, I'm trying to bend a home-made wire frame into shape to achieve the effect of a deployed chute, if anyone can prescribe a better method then I'm appreciably all ears.

The intent is to get it right somehow and have him dangling accordingly from a high ceiling space come the display weekend (above and between the 'Green on GO!!!' and "MEDIC!!'" scenes). The chute and many of the figure components are BBI with the addition of DML, DiD and Soldier Story odds and sods.

Worst case, if I can't sort it out, is to just have the figure either positioned on landing or caught-up on a high point somewhere near the display. Enjoy, Steve

Attachments

• 169802194.jpg
    169802194.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 169802195.jpg
    169802195.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 169802196.jpg
    169802196.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 169802197.jpg
    169802197.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 27
Maybe you could experiment with a fan pointing up from below the figure with maybe just a styrene thin ring to the bottom edge of the chute? The fan would just need to mushroom the chute. You could hang up the figure using the ring.

Last edited:
attachment.php

That's pretty freakin cool!!! I've always wanted to do something like this but have yet to get to it, great stuff, very inspiring!!! :rock:

Cheers guys,

The fan blowing skywards idea is a solution I heard some years back when I had a similar issue with a Brit para for the 2014 'MARKET GARDEN' diorama series however I thought it would distract as well as time up time...a band on the inside of the 'skirt' of the chute is a great solution and I'm still trying to figure out the best way to achieve this without it being so obvious on the chute when visitors look up (hence the current green wire frame)...I might need a thicker form of green wire in order to better hold the shape desired.

In the meantime, the 'Screaming Eagle' is hanging up in my study minus the frame - almost like Pte John Steel hanging from that church in St. Mere Eglise...naturally he will keep his head down and tucked into his arms, knees bent and feet together to absorb the shock of landing should the chute work loose. Thanks again, Steve

I was lucky to score one of the Hasboro GI Joe paratrooper displays from TRU many years ago, basically a clear dome for the parachute to go over and display an open chute, but have yet to test with a DML or BBi chute, this shoot has got me digging goodies out to experiment :)

Last edited:
Hey good stuff, the clear dome should do the trick given 1/6th round chutes regardless of manufacture (I suspect) would be around a similar circumference. Keen to see how you go. I'm still on the look out for objects that might suffice in that regard. Cheers and good luck, Steve

Back