• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Sanitätsunteroffizier Alfons Schmertzmacher, 5th Gebirgs-Division, Gustav Line, Italy

Ortona

Marksman
I have always thought the German medical troops fascinating. The German medic figure, Eugen, as seen on the 1/35th Dragon figure set below, is one of the best German action figures out there:

0-22 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

You have basically four types of German medical personnel in the field. I found this description in a Feldgrau Forum thread, so I know its accurate.

1) Hilfskrankenträger= auxiliary stretcher bearers - were normal members of a company with a little bit advanced first aid training. In case a combat situation made it necessary they "dropped" their weapon, got a armband (either "Hilfskrankenträger" or a red cross armband), a basic first aid pouch and mainly recovered wounded comrades from the field plus providing basic aid (bandages etc...).
There were usually 8 such men preselected for this.

2) Krankenträger - Stretcher bearers - were constantly with the company, constantly marked with a red cross armband, had two medic pouches and a pistol. There were usually four in an 1941 infantry company. They were better trained in first aid. These Krankenträger had the same colour of arms on their uniform as the company type.

3) Sanitätsunteroffizier - medical NCO - There was one in each company size formation. He was responsible for the professional medical treatment and organisation in the company during garrison and in the field. He was specially trained in a medical school (training about 6 months) + special courses. They always were marked with a red cross armband and a caduceus emblem on the left respectively right lower arm (army or Air force) and showed the cornflower blue colour of arms of the medical branch.
If necessary the medical NCO´s of the companies gathered and built the Truppenverbandplatz of the battalion.

4) Sanitätsoffiziere - medical officers - were doctors. The first level they were seen is the battalion doctor in the battalion headquarter. This was usually a young doctor who provided first professional life supprt at the troop bandaging station of the battlion. Of course in mobile situations etc.. directly at the patient in the field.

I converted the classic gebirgsjager Alfons, into a mountain trooper, using Paulus as a source for new uniform, and gave him Eugen's gear, combined with various German Medic sets offered at one time by "War and Pieces". (Now sold out. ) All my gebirgsjagers were inspired by Dragon's 1/35 "Gebirgsjager Defenders Gustav Line" set, but augmented with much more gear! Others from this box top will come soon (Note the two Walther G41M's.) :

0-24 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-1 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-2 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-4 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-5 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-7 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

Since I took these photos, I repainted Alfon's anorak buttons khaki, instead of black:

0 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-1 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

Re: Sanitätsunteroffizier Alfons Schmertzmacher, 5th Gebirgs-Division, Gustav Line, I

Gebirgs-Sani vor! Excellent mountain troop medics. My only critic is that the red cross armband should be on the left sleeve.

Here's my 1:1 scale version. Too bad no one makes the Gebirgs-Sanitäts Kasten in 1/6th scale.

26733685_10157029110639377_1390765426403360029_n by Patrick, on Flickr

Horrido!

Last edited:
Back