• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

uniform and gear for nco in the 3rd infantry

They were dressed mostly standard from photos I've seen, M41 jacket M37 wool pants and shirt. 3rd Div were in Italy and so they received their issue of the M43 buckle top boots. Dragoon was in mid summer so a lot of the photos I've seen are of soldier in shirt sleeves.
As for equipment everything is standard. I think folding shovels started to show up at this time too. The broken TV emblem of the third division was often painted on both sides of a soldiers helmet. Also helmet camo netting is very common. That's about it for me.

Tim

Last edited:
I agree airman, M43 boots and HBT's , I've seen that look in pictures from Italy, so that would make sense for troops coming from Italy.

Tim

His load out depends on his function. A Cpl in a rifle squad at that point in time was an assistant squad leader, later in the war there was a bump in ranks and squad leaders became S/Sgts and assistant squad leaders were mostly buck Sgts. But for your CPL just out fit him like any other US infantryman. Cartridge belt with canteen and first aid pouch, one or two bandoliers of ammo, bayonet, haversack with a meat can pouch and a shovel, T handle or folding. A privately purchased belt knife was common. A couple of grenades. M1 Garand rifle, no pistol. Pistols were reserved for weapons teams and in some cases out right replaced with the M1 Carbine. Guys might scrounge up a pistol and it depended on what their officers were like if they were authorized to carry them or not. Remember this, a pistol openly worn could ID you as an officer and make you a good target for snipers. Pack systems were not as efficient at load bearing as todays systems are. Soldier tried to travel with the bare minimum. So consider what your soldier is doing, is he up on the line already or is he moving on to another position. Is he on patrol. etc. Try some Google image searches, try ww2 US infantry. You'll get tons of photos.

Tim

Back