• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

US Jeep Pictures.

SFC Reising

Machine Gunner
Does anyone have a website with detailed pictures of actual Willy's jeeps from WWII? :S I am working on a GI Joe Willy's and need some good reference pictures. :D

Great Links! I just saw a show on one of the pay channels (Discovery or History) about the Jeep. They say the FORD manufactured Jeep is one of the most sought after of the W.W.II Jeeps. I eventually want to make one or all my Jeeps Fords. Basically the are identical to the other Jeeps with the exception of the FORD logo on the tailgate and a Coca Cola Bottle opener welded on the drivers side right next to the door opening. Maybe I'll find some pics of those details on one of those sites. Making a 1/6th bottle opener might be tough the FORD logo should be pretty easy.

Johnro:

One of the reason 1:1 guys pay big bucks for a restored Ford Jeep is because every nut and bolt in the Jeep had the "F" for Ford logo imprinted and visable. Every section of the Jeep made by Ford also had the "F" logo stamped into it.

Tons of parts are interchangable between manufacturers of Jeeps and the military wasn't too concerned about replacing a worn out or broken part on a Ford with an actual "F" part. So used and abused Ford Jeeps didn't stay "F" Jeeps too long.

TTT

ACTUALLY

There are alot more differences to a ford GPW than just F marked parts and Ford on the back.

Ford and Willys stamped their name on the back only until mid 42 when the military told them to stop advertising. These jeeps are referenced as Script jeeps. These are popular because of this script.

as for differences that are huge and visible on a model conversion are the rear tool box lids, front crossmember. Script on the back if you are adding one. and many more.. F mark the backs of the seats and the pintle hook.

If you are serious about converting 1/6 jeep into a ford get the book called " All american Wounder" by Ray Cowdery. He has alot of drawings and photo's pointing out the differences. also the differences between early and late jeeps. The book is only like 20 bucks.

I could type all day on the subject. as I own a perfect 42 Ford GPW and a 43 willys and a 45 willys. My ford is all matching serial numbers and is perfect in every detail. But don't worry I am not one of those guys that trailers it. I have put 5K miles on it since finishing the restoration a little over a year ago.

No jeep ever came with a bottle opener. They were added on in the field. If ever. there has been a long discussion on G503 if there is any photo graphic evedence of one actually being bolted on.

rightclick save....rightclick save....rightclick save....rightclick save....rightclick save....rightclick save....rightclick save....rightclick save....rightclick save....rightclick save....rightclick save....rightclick save....rightclick save....rightclick save....rightclick save....rightclick save....rightclick save....rightclick save....rightclick save....rightclick save....rightclick save....rightclick save....rightclick save....rightclick save....rightclick save....rightclick save....rightclick save....rightclick save....rightclick save....rightclick save....rightclick save....rightclick save....
Thanks guys

Thanks for the info GPWPAT, The show I saw made it a point to highlight the bottle opener and said that is was supplied by Coca Cola to be put on the Jeep during production. I wish I could remember what channel and show it was on. It could have been any of the History Channel shows maybe even Mail Call or one of the 4WD shows on the Discovery Channel. Anyway that is why I mentioned it here and they said it was only on the Ford manufactured Jeep. I'm sure they got many calls about it from guy who know Jeeps. I wish I caught the show from the beginning than I would know who's Jeep it was they usually mention the owner. You might know who it is! I have been reading up on the FORD Jeep and I can't find any reference on that bottle opener so most likely the shows producers didn't do much research either. Everything I read so far says even though the Ford parts might be a little different all Jeeps part were interchangeable and finding one with all matching numbers is nearly impossible. You must have had a hard time restoring yours with all the correct marked parts. I have only one request if you don't mind? Could you snap a good pick of the Ford script on the back so I can print it and cut it from styrene so I can add it to my Jeeps. Last is there anything cosmetically I need to know that distinguishes the Ford Jeep from the others? I also have a crate Jeep using one of my SOTW Jeeps for display in my future plans. I have found quite a bit of pictures on the subject and some info. One last thing I found out. Even though a lot of guys prefer the Hasbro Jeep over the SOTW Jeep the SOTW Jeep has better proportions than the Hasbro one. I got this from a guy who restores Jeeps and makes repro Jeep parts in Europe. He is making a 1/6th R/C copy of his Jeep and he got both Jeeps so he could get an idea which one was better all though the SOTW lacks a lot of little details it is actually closer in size to the real thing. I have a ton of jeeps 5 or 6 Hasbro ones and 7 or 8 of the SOTW ones. No 21st Jeeps eventually I'll get one of those. The only reason I have so many of the others is, I got them all for less than $5.00 each during the Target mark downs. My favorite is the SOTW winter Jeep with tire chains.

One thing you have to realize about Discovery and History Channel documentaries is those channels do NOT produce those shows nor do they accept responsibility for their accuracy in content. I contacted History Channel when I saw one of their shows with my dad in it and was told they purchase the shows from other suppliers.

I also saw a Jeep documentary on the History Channel and it was crap. Full of inaccuracies and one of the worse jeep documentaries I have ever seen. Sadly they had what appeared to be a very knowledgable collector narrating and because of heavy editing they took alot of what he said out of context chopping his statements and embellishing errors.

GPWPat:

I apologize for my mistatements about Jeeps. I am a Dodge guy and my script Jeep statements were things I heard over the years from Jeep guys, and my mistake was taking what they said like they knew the "straight scoop".

Kano:

I saw that History channel show on the Jeep. The guy you are referring to is one of the owners of Beachwood Canvas, well known in the MV world. I knew he has more than one Jeep but never knew him to be an expert in Jeeps. No more than most other MV guys.

But then also on the History is that big beefy guy doing the Automanic show and one night he did a show on miitary leaders rides, including General Patton's Jeep. He did a brief history of Patton and he said "He was a great General in Africa but then he slapped a common soldier in Sicily and because of that he was removed from command and ended the war at a desk job" end of story. I almost fell off my couch...end of story?...what about the 3rd Army after D-Day? what about the Buldge rescue?....am I nuts???? I lost alot of respect for the History Channel that night besides the usual TV mix and match pics with stories...like doing a story on Shermans and there is a quick shot of an M-48 or Stuart while talking about Shermans or a story on C-47's and there is a quick shot of B-17's...not even the same number of engines, wouldn't that be a giveaway?

But the, what do I know :eek:

TTT

I still have to say the responsibility still lies on the History Channel or other network and it's staff that shows these programs. Don't they review them first before airing an obviously flawed story? I think History itself is full of flaws to begin with it all depends on who's telling the story or what side they were on. Read some of the history about the Civil War, if you get a book written down South a lot of it contradicts what's written here in the North. I have seen many arguments online about a detail or two and even when someone shows a picture of a certain item they still argue. LOL Every once in a while some historian will find facts that contradict what we have been taught for years. LOL I am no W.W.II historian I have to depend on what some guys say and what I see on TV or read even then I can be getting wrong information.

The auto maniac show was a joke. While I enjoyed seeing the other cars from the erra. they talked like that jeep was Pattons. It was a junk jeep with tons of post war parts. not even a correct windshield. If you look at the pictures of Pattons jeep his horns were not chrome.

3 trucks

No appologie needed. I didn't think you stated anything out of line. people do pay big bucks for those F's. going rate right now for F marked bolts if 5 bucks each.

I got licky on my GPW it was my first jeep. I was just looking for a wwii jeep. My luck the first one I buy is all matching numbers jeep with almost all of its origional F marked parts.

My GPW is not script however it was produced Nov 30 1942. so is considered late transitional jeep.

gpwpat, did the guy you bought the Jeep from know what he had? I hope you got a great deal on it. I checked out a few ads of people selling W.W.II Jeeps but so far all the cheap ones were basically junk. Maybe worth restoring but far more than I am willing to take on. I wouldn't really care how much of a Jeep was original or matching numbers etc. I just want one. LOL

I don't know if the guy knew what he had. I bought it 5 years ago. prices were a bit lower then. I paid 3500 for a running driving matching serial numbered GPW. Which is a killer deal. Right now you just look for a jeep as origional as possible. all the smal parts nickel and dime you to death if they are missing. All I had to get was the windshield and top bow items. all the other stuff was standard to get like wiring harness, canvas, paint webbing etc. overall I have about 10K into my jeep, Trailer and radio. overall it is worth about 20K for all the stuff. So my sweat equity in this jeep is pretty good. some guys have 20K in a jeep that is worth 15K.

If anybody needs any detailed pictures you can'f already find don't hesitate to ask.

Here is mine
62026_23.JPG

621-3-2005_398.jpg

621-3-2005_383.jpg

621-3-2005_391.jpg

62021_18.JPG

gpwpat, nice pics of your great machine. I picked up a Willey's of 23/12/43 here in Australia recently & love it.
Do you have any pictures, or instructions on folding the roof frame down - a bit puzzled with it at the moment.
Also, does someone know of drawings/sketches of jeeps that could be used without fear of copyright? I am kconsidering using the image for a small business promotion. Thanks

Your Jeep is so sweet! Thanks for the pic of the script. I have a lot of pics of the newer Ford script but the older one is really different. I think I can work it on Photodeluxe and get a better high contrast pic out of that so I can cut it out in plastic and attach it to my 1/6th scale Jeeps.

One of my buddies from my old reenactment group, Dan Sleeper, did a frame off resto
of a Ford Jeep a few years back. He sold it to a fellow in Japan and I guess it makes
it rounds in shows over there and has won all sorts of contests. I guess it is often billed
as the best ww2 Jeep in Japan (if one can actually make such a claim).

Nice Jeep BTW gwppat, and your right if your in it for the money the car restorers game is
a loosing game. 20 years ago I had a 15000 into a 5000 dollar Baracuda.

Back