• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Very quick late war Brit bash

Kev Longino

I have been rooting around in the depths of my spares boxes trying to find some bits and bobs for a Polish para I am trying to do ( although at the current rate his progress is being measured with a calendar :lol: )
I came across quite a lot of British bits I have been hoarding so decided to start throwing this guy together. Basically he's a late war Tommy slogging his way into Germany in the spring of 1945. Mostly BBi kit ( I really wish they would get back into doing high level 1/6 and especially more British/US figs )with one of the recent DML American bodies. The Windproof,Camouflage smock is'nt the right camo but it will do for now.
The boots are Newline and great but unfortunately I have yet to get a correct set of gaiters in any package - either I get 2 left gaiters or one left and one right with the straps and buckles in the wrong place, like these ones! Of course now I'm going to have to finish him which means the para gets less attention................
09aef614.jpg

d9a8b46c.jpg

401371b8.jpg

Schweet Brit, Kev! I see you give your troops cancer sticks, too :lol:
How do those Newline boots measure up? Seems for the price you can't beat 'em. Been wanting to get some German short boots and gaiters, myself.

Looking fine. Left one of my guys wearing a camo smock outside for about a month, faded it up real nice. Bonus was no effort on my part.

PS Is that a hint of a whine re BBi?? LOL

Nice subject to choose : as you say , the camo is wrong , which is a crying shame since the smock itself is so well made : one of Dragon's more obvious cock-ups . Having decided to make the garment , they chose to use up their stocks of Denison (airborne type) fabric instead , rather than have new fabric made .
You can repaint the smock if you want : for those of you unfamiliar with the item , the camo was basically a dusky flesh pink , with angular patches of red-brown and mid-green over it : there are colour pictures in Bouchery's " The British Soldier from D-DAy to VE-Day " , and elswhere. The effect is pretty startling , since the pink and red-brown predominated .
I repainted mine using Vallejo acrylics , very thin , in about three thin coats , letting each dry out before adding the next . It's slow , but it's worth doing , since I think it unlikely that we will ever see that particular fabric done in 1/6.
The garment itself was quite widely issued to Infantry during the winter '44/45 : there were trousers to go with it , but they do not seem to have been as popular as the smock . Going by photos , they got very grubby in use, and are often overlooked in black and white pictures .

Thanks guys, he's just a quickie but at least I'm putting some carefully hoarded bits to use! The reason i want BBi back in the game is that I really like their stuff - down to the lttle labels inside the clothing :lol:
Tony , the smock is actually a BBi/Customcraft one although I think the Dragon version also used Denison camo print. I have been down the repainting camouflage route before with liebermuster and it's too time consuming for me at the moment :-o
Dean - the Newline boots are well worth the money. I have a few of their different types and wish I could afford to reboot all my troops with them.They must have some teeny elves making shoes for them. I did however have to spend 10 minutes taking the laces out and ladder lacing them so that I did'nt offend the gods of the British Army :lol:

Looks like some Tommies here on the board are starting to make a major push. Great bash so far Kev Longino!

Kyle

Gentlemen , might I encourage the British push by recommending " with the Jocks " by Peter White , Sutton Publishing ,available in paperback , which describes in detail what it was like to fight as a junior officer in a Lowland Scots battalion ( the King's Own Scottish Borderers ) throughout that winter campaign ; he not only writes well , but was a passable artist , and his sketches are in the book . His battalion wore the smocks in the cold weather , which was pretty well all the time . It's one of the best accounts of life at the sharp end around . There's also lots of detail on actual fighting procedures , and how the platoon lived ( and died ) from day to day .

Great figure, Kev! I highly recommend the NLM boots too. You will have to relace them ladder-style. The gaiters seem thick, but give a tighter, and best looking, fit yet. I recently picked up some of the rubber soled CDO boots for my NW ETO SAS. Thanks for the book recommendation, Tony.

Back