• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

What would be the best location?

Hey Everybody, This is my first post. posted it in groundpounders earlier but I think this is a better spot.

I am making a stop motion film with my 1:6'ers and I need a bit of help from you guys, Although I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable on Wermacht uniforms, I find myself coming up short. Here is the reason why, the soldiers I will be using are some Heer soldiers, some W SS grenadiers, one Luftwaffe Hermann G soldier, and a few American soldiers. The Heer and WSS units have mixed camo styles and garb, so I need to find a location that these units would fight with such a mish mash of uniform styles. Then I can customize these soldiers into their units.

My first notion was it should take place somewhere in Normandy. maybe retreating in Falaise, The WSS could be DasReich div maybe. I'm hoping for a small village. The American soldiers are currently all Inf units, however I don't think it would be to hard to bash them into 82nd or 101st or even pathfinders (if i had to) as I have seen many of you have done.
I am also trying to buy a halftrack, to help out with the W SS Grenadiers.

If anyone has any suggestions on where I should place this little skirmish, or any other info it would be greatly appreciated. I am posting this here because I know that this place is not only the best resource for 1:6 scale but also an amazing resource for historical Information. Thanks in advance.

The HG Division was located in the MTO so you might want to leave him out if your doing a Normandy dio.

The Herman Goering Division was pulled out of Italy in July '44 for operations in the East.

I would suggest a diorama in the Vistula Front as by the end of 1944 the East was held together very loosely. I searched for a suitable battle and this one seems to work with your Heer as memebers of the 73rd Division, SS from the 5th SS Panzer Division, and HG.

800px-Wolomin_Battlefield.png

I can't suggest what would work if you wish to include all your figs including the Americans since the HG Div only fought the US in Italy.
The SS soldiers would have to be converted into MTO uniforms of the 16th SS Reichsfurer Division; the 29th Italia Waffen SS Div was the only other Waffen SS division in Italy.

I wish you luck with you luck with your project.

Thanks Drummerboy for all of your help and detailed research that would be an ideal setting.

However dealing with the American uniforms I have, I think i'm going to set it near Falaise and modify the WSS to LAH and heer accordingly.

I'll post some screen tests soon.

Thanks again for the help!

Your welcome. That sounds like the best idea seeing that you can use most of your figs. I was being apain in the @$$ about the HG soldier but you do what you think is best. I'm positive the results will top notch.

Good luck. 8)

A great project if I may say - I'm a sucker for animated movies, and if it's done in 1/6, then so much better!

Most people here have already given the best advice when it comes to location, but I was wondering, wouldn't it be 'better'/easier to put all the Germans in the same outfit, ie WSS or the army? After all, it's a question of changing uniforms on them.

I'm aware that mixes occur between units and branches, especially when in retreat or disaster (which Falaise was) but in order to keep it simple, I'd go for one type of troops, but that's me.

DML's "Rudy" was from a Luftwaffe ground unit in Normandy I believe, also there were a buncha Fallschrimjagers in Normandy as well, so you should be able to mix some Luftwaffe troops in with the Heer and SS troops fighting in the Falaise pocket. Once the the Germans began to fall back from the beachheads at Normandy, many makeshift units were thrown together to counter the allied advance, many of the units saw constant action until their destruction in the Falaise pocket. If you're going to do a storyline based on the Normandy campaign, of which I consider the closing of the Falaise gap to be the grand finally, you should really look at the combat history of the units (allied and axis) based from the landings until the closing of the gap, will help to build a cohesive storyline, and give you many ideas to build the story from. A good inexpensive book on the history of the Falaise encirclement is the Osprey campaign book "Falaise; Death of a Nazi Army", gives a nice outline of the events leading up to, and a great description of the battle of encirclement.

Hey Pangaea,
Thanks for the tip, that is definitley what I am going to do, also I now have a Rudy figure that I working with. I will also definitley check out that book, so I can come up with a decent stroyline.

Thanks everybody for the helpful info. I'll post some pics soon once I have started.

Back