View Single Post
Old 03-19-2020, 12:01 PM   #5
SteveKrieg
Company Commander

Re: Project - Wehrmacht horsepower - Field kitchen

G'day all,

Just some quick update pics on the Hf.13 Gross Feldkuche (large field kitchen) affectionately known by the Soldaten as 'Gulaschkanone' and its 'Vorderwagen' (front limber). Being all metal, I decided to clean and spray with oxide primer to give the coat of Feldgrau the right shade of grey. The limber was, like many German wagens of its kin, made of wood but because the model is metal then I thought a primer coat a reasonable idea to prevent any future rust.

The wooden wheels came without the metal rims which I've done with thin plastic card and painted accordingly. Whilst three of the wheels have been painted feldgrau, I decided to paint one of the Limber wheels in 'new wood' to give the impression that it had recently replaced a wheel badly broken during the advance.

My plan is to completely detail as best as possible the inside of the kitchen's various compartments (for this I'm using a couple of references including Scott L. Thompson's 'Gulaschkanone' by Schiffer (probably the best I've sourced on the topic). Actual wood and crushed fire residue will be use for the fire stoves and pans and a small bowl will be placed inside the cooking pot so that I can fill it with soup when required for diorama effects. This particular model is more robust than the CHE polystone productions (which are heavy and somewhat fragile in-comparison).

A bit of scratch-building and replacement of parts is required and as you can see, this process has started already and I've more than enough stowage for the limber (much of which I used on the mobile field kitchen vignette in 2014's 'Blitzkrieg' diorama (refer to the thread on that for pics).

More to follow, enjoy and I hope everyone is coping fine given the current condition of the world. Cheers, Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 170530864.jpg (160.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 170530866.jpg (120.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 170530867.jpg (148.8 KB, 15 views)
SteveKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote