Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > General Quarters

General Quarters General 1:6 WWII Discussion Forum

Old 11-09-2020, 01:38 AM   #1
Pangaea95
Site Admin

DiD German Jackboots

As of recent I've acquired some of the new, supposedly genuine leather, German marching boots, very detailed and reminiscent of the NLM boots, but I've had troubles using these on figures. They are very tight at top and don't really allow for the tucking in of the trousers, what are people doing to use these and make them look proper? Are you modifying the figure, or using certain bodies? I've been tryin them on DML figures, but even so I can see them not fairing much better on the DiD ones I have either. What up with the DiD boots?
Old 11-11-2020, 11:06 AM   #2
egonzinc
Brigade Commander

Re: DiD German Jackboots

For me they don't look anything like NLM boots. The have a dress boot look, although I have only a few. Still stinging from the dizens of okder DID boots I ended up throwing in the garbage.

www.egonzinc.com
egonzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 02:40 PM   #3
chamildav
Battalion Commander

They were nice looking boots until they disintegrated. DiD and everyone else it seems like stepped up their game on the leather and "pleather" boots. I've switched back to almost entirely using Dragon and bbi plastic boots though on US figures. Just reasonably nicely sculpted and more durable. More of a problem with the less well sculpted German boots.
chamildav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:56 PM   #4
Pangaea95
Site Admin

Thanks for the replies guys, I recently got some of the newer boots, the officer boots from the newset Kater figure, and some marching boots from the new Mathias figure, they are much improved, but so tight at tops you can't tuck the trousers in. Unlike the NewLine they are not stitched but rather glued together with stitch detailing. Older boots were kind of the same in this regards, my GI boots from the DiD Franklin figure I think, have held together quite well, but they are lace up boots, the ones I got with my Leon Basin figure have pretty much disintegrated. Never was a big fan, but I've seen some of the new ones used with rather nice results thus my interest in how guys are getting them to work for them
Old 11-14-2020, 01:27 PM   #5
The_Dutchman
Company Commander

Just an idea: wet the shaft of the boots thoroughly and then stretch them up by putting them on dome shape object and let them dry?
The_Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:05 AM   #6
Pangaea95
Site Admin

That's a thought, wish I had some pic's to share, guys using these have gotten them to look really natural fitting, I'm thinking more along the lines that they are modifying the figure and thinning the calves/legs maybe?
Old 11-15-2020, 03:02 AM   #7
chamildav
Battalion Commander

I'd be a little concerned with trying to stretch them. The problem is the shafts are glued, not stitched and I think you'd have a pretty good chance of tearing the seams. Modifying the calf makes more sense to me. And I think the nature of the materials used tends to make the figures less proportional. This could be an answer to that also.
chamildav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:20 PM   #8
Pangaea95
Site Admin

"the shafts are glued, not stitched and I think you'd have a pretty good chance of tearing the seams"

You are correct, happened trying to tuck some trousers in, luckily gluing back/ repairing worked out on that pair