Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > General Quarters

General Quarters General 1:6 WWII Discussion Forum

Old 06-23-2008, 03:44 AM   #1
jackntbox
Mortarman

German Field Kitchen Diorama Pics and Video

Hey gang,

I just got back from A Weekend of Heroes. What a blast setting up this dio. Enjoy!

The sausages are real Slim Jims with a butcher tie. The wheels of cheese are real baby bells and the long french bread are real bread sticks. Yes, that is real goulash. The smoke generator is Micro Mark. Took about three hours to set up. The kids loved it and so did the grown ups. It was lots of fun to do. Maybe I will do more in the future.

Jack
jackntbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:52 AM   #2
Germanbilly1
Brigade Commander

Looking at that I could smell all the food. Great Dio and I wish I had gone just to have seen that. Very Nice and well thought out.
GB
Old 06-23-2008, 04:54 AM   #3
Sixth Vanguard
Board Flunky, aka Site Admin

Great stuff I saw that field kitchen and nearly stuck my finger in the pot to see what was cooking

A great way to have some fun and share the hobby. Good of John to provide the space and you to show up
Sixth Vanguard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:35 AM   #4
Grumpy
Sniper

Nice pictures Jack. Strangly, I have simular ones. Anyone who would like to see them can go to our website http://www.southwestarmorgroup.com and look on the "gallery" page.
I also added some pictures of the M3 halftrack by Randy which was at our booth. Youll find those on the "projects" page.

I was looking forward to meeting Germanbilly1 at the show as we have a simular project in progress. Seems he was smarter than me and avoided the unbearable Glendale heat.

David
www.southwestarmorgroup.com
So. Cal.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:39 AM   #5
jackntbox
Mortarman

Nice pictures Dave! I never got a good shot of the sausage. You know what I mean. You should have said "hi" and tasted the goulash 6th V. It was delicious. I was around pretty much all the time. I was bummed I couldn't enter the diorama contest but glad that I got the space to display. Fun weekend all around. Oh yeah, hotter than the devil's armpit in June. Oh wait...

Jack
Old 06-23-2008, 05:58 AM   #6
cablecommander
Company Commander

I saw that dio set-up on Saturday, and I thought it was AWESOME!!!! I went back and looked at it atleast 3 times. Great job on the whole set-up.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:12 AM   #7
Loke666
Battalion Commander

Very nice and inspiring!!

I sure do hope that DML will offer the field kitchen as a kit soon!!

Henrik
Old 06-23-2008, 05:25 PM   #8
Sheppard1972
Platoon Leader

Great Dio and wish I didn't live in the middle of nowheresville. Looks like a great time and hope to see more pics of this event. Oh BTW Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed looking and hope you do more in the future.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:48 PM   #9
Grumpy
Sniper

Im sure Jack is already planning the next dio. BIGGER than this one no doubt. Jack endured some oppression on more than one front on this one and still came thru.

David
www.southwestarmorgroup.com
So. Cal.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:32 PM   #10
Dubar1
Company Commander

CHOWHOUNDS!!!

What was the Goulash-O-The-Day?!?!?! Looks like real Campbells Soup in there

Yummm...let's eat
Old 06-23-2008, 09:05 PM   #11
vehicle
Company Commander

Nicely done

vehicle
vehicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:09 PM   #12
jackntbox
Mortarman

Thanks guys,

That was my first diorama. Great to know that I wasn't completely out of my mind. The goulash was a combination of Lipton's beef onion soup, a can of corned beef and hash, and some spaghetti sauce for color and thickness. I cooked it on low overnight to give it that stewed look. It actually tasted pretty good! I had to seal the inside of the pot with some spray adhesive and aluminum foil otherwise there would be goulash inside the kitchen body. BAAAD!! It might be a while before I do another one like that. Like Grumpy said, I was oppressed on many fronts and felt like I spent way too much time and money on this diorama for a contest that I was not allowed to enter. Oh well. The people who were there to see some dioramas liked it. SWAG liked it and I am sooo glad I am a member of that group. No way I could have done it without their support. The SWAG booth rocked the show. Funny, they want us to show up to make their show look good, but they don't let ANY of us enter our figures, vehicles, or dioramas for their contests. Why, you ask? Their answer is the most ridiculous reason in the world. We would win. Why are you going to have a contest for best whatever if the "best" isn't allowed to compete? What kind of "contest" is it? That is what I was told and many others were told in the SWAG group when they tried to enter on previous occasions. We do not think we are the best. Let me make this clear. We just want to compete like the rest of the enthusiasts. I just don't get it. That pissed me off more than anything has pissed me off in a long time. Sorry guys I just had to vent.

Jack
Old 06-24-2008, 05:23 AM   #13
jackntbox
Mortarman

I just wanted to apologize for that rant. It's really egotistical of me to get upset at something like this. I realize that now. I mean it doesn't matter the least in the grand scheme of things. I went off the reservation on this one. Work in progress.

Jack
Old 06-24-2008, 07:20 AM   #14
Loke666
Battalion Commander

I understand you perfectly.
Björn/Falckener and I was "kindly allowed" to exhibit our wehicles in a dio at a modelling show called C4 in Malmö, Sweden 2 years ago - several officials and "leading modellers" had only negative comments on 1/6 stuff and some of them felt we shouldn't even be there - but all the crowd was gathering around our toys!

There is still a long way before 1/6 is accepted by smallscale modellers and reenactors.
Too bad for them.

Henrik