Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > Armor, Mech and Weapons Division

Armor, Mech and Weapons Division Showcase of 1:6 Armor, Vehicles and Weapons Projects

Old 05-15-2017, 07:44 AM   #1
SteveKrieg
Tanker

Aerosan Assault

G'day all,

In tandem with the Flak 38 position assembly. I'm also putting together another diorama (larger in table size) depicting three Russian RF-8 Aerosans attacking a column of sled-pulling German infantry.

As far as my dioramas go, this will be my first Russian scene (and first Eastern Front scene). The Aerosan models are DML and I purchased them rather cheaply of 'Monkey Depot'. I was not overly impressed with this model as there's not too much to it but thought, with some work, they'd turn out nicely. All three will be armed and crewed accordingly. I suspect that these models won't take too much effort to spruce up and the hardest part thus far (aside from the repainting and addition of the red star) was applying putty to where the engine assembly joins the hull and then sanding so that the both parts appear seamless - as they should be.

For the German infantry column. I envisage about 15-odd figures, all dressed in winter-white camo uniforms, variously equipped, pulling three sleds. One will have an MG34 heavy mount with spare ammo containers and such, another with stores (crates of various kinds) and the third carrying a Torn-D radio set; all will also be carrying various other equipment.

The column will be positioned with some figures hit, others adopting the prone firing position, the sergeant yelling to the MG34 crew as they turn their sled towards the enemy, the radio operator lying behind the 'comms' sled yelling into the microphone.

I picked-up some snow mats at a Christmas shop during the festive season which will make for a suitable terrain base. Enjoy, Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RF-8 Ruskie Aerosan before.JPG (235.6 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg RF-8 Ruskie Aerosan progress - Copy.JPG (125.8 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg RF-8 Ruskie Aerosan progress2 - Copy.JPG (109.3 KB, 158 views)
SteveKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #2
Pangaea95
Site Admin

Re: Aerosan Assault

Cool!!! Looking forward to seeing the finished dio
Old 05-16-2017, 01:27 AM   #3
egonzinc
Brigade Commander

This is going to be huge! ����

www.egonzinc.com
egonzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:32 AM   #4
Reef12
Battalion Commander

As said huge.

Nice start.
Reef12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:03 AM   #5
Squidley
Company Commander

Been looking at those at Monkey Depot for a while. I'll be watching this build.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:48 PM   #6
SteveKrieg
Tanker

Unfortunately I haven't had much time to work on 1/6th lately due an unforeseen issue but I did manage to put some more time into the Aerosan project.

I've given each a name in red and - from front to rear - we have "For Stalin", "Victory" and "Annihilate the Fascists". "For Stalin" also now has weathered skids (second pic). The skids really add size to what I thought would be a vehicle that would not take up much space. Now onto the detailing and the addition of MG and crew stowage.

For those wishing to do a similar project, there's not too much to the Aerosan model save for repainting/weathering and detailing. The skids fit nicely enough though the protective assembly for the rear propeller requires a bit of additional work such as drilling the fit holes larger so that the parts slot into nicely into place. I'll also need to scratch-build the magazine racks for the drum magazines (which will fit underneath forward of the gunner's seat).

Another 'spanner in the works' is that I might not be in-country for this year's model show which means I'll just put the dioramas together for next year's show instead. I've still yet to dig-in the mortar platoon (ground pounders) for a photoshoot, complete the Flak38 scene (kettenkrad and searchlight) and start on the Aussie jungle fighters...too many projects and not enough time at the moment but do not fear; they will make the orbat. Enjoy, Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Naming - Copy.JPG (184.5 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Ski fit - Copy.JPG (187.9 KB, 77 views)
SteveKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:58 PM   #7
viaad
Brigade Commander

Those are looking great Steve! I'm looking forward to seeing more progress and the finished product.

Alfonso

Get a hobby and relax!
viaad is offline   Reply With Quote