Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > General Quarters

General Quarters General 1:6 WWII Discussion Forum

Old 07-01-2008, 12:08 AM   #1
Actionfigureman09
Company Commander

Who uses paper models to scratch build vehicles?

Who uses paper models to scratch build vehicles?

<edited by Sixth Vanguard>
Please, let us not change the subject of topics once they have been started. Start a new topic instead
-SV
<end edit>
Actionfigureman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:56 AM   #2
Sixth Vanguard
Board Flunky, aka Site Admin

I have used them as reference. Some are better than others. The cheap ones are really only good to get a general impression of the shape or size. The better kits are really quite accurate. The Halinski paper models are really well done.
Sixth Vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:11 AM   #3
Germanbilly1
Brigade Commander

I have used the paper models to build my trailers for the 88 and I'm also using one to build my Sd Kfz 7. The one thing I have found out is to get as many measurements from the real thing as you can. I take the paper plans to a place that can make BIG copys. As they scan them I take know measurements and check them against the copy. When those come out then we copy the whole kit. The next thing is paper is thinner than the plastic we use. It works but it takes a lot of time and recutting to get it right. If in fact it is right! I like them and I think they are better that taking a 1/35th and measuring it to get the scale. Again they are not perfect and I also have many books and research to go along with them.
Have a Good Build, GB
Old 07-01-2008, 06:12 AM   #4
Actionfigureman09
Company Commander

Thanks to both of you guys!

Your answers and as well as the answer of a member on another forum have answered all of my questions. GB, just in saying that your models came partly from paper models you answered the most important question, apparently styrene is the best way to go in most every case of scratch building.

It's kind of hard to think that i had even passed up the thought of getting measurements from the real thing, seriously, how did that happen. I guess my brain has been working a little slow lately(vacation).

My plans are to build a T-34/76, whether or not that will happen, I'm not sure.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 07-02-2008, 04:06 AM   #5
mikoyan29
Machine Gunner

I built a cardboard T-34 at one point. Unfortunately, it didn't survive too well. I suppose if I had made better wheels it owuld have been fine.

This is a picture, I think with some more work it would have been a pretty nice looking tank.
mikoyan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:32 AM   #6
Actionfigureman09
Company Commander

That looks pretty nice for a cardboard vehicle, If you had put some panzerwerks running gear on it, and a vent or two it would have been great! Sucks that it fell apart! You might want to take a try at it again, do you save the pattern?

Well, I have made a change in plans, I'm going to try for a KV-2. Which i think is a little more simple. I could be wrong though.
There a few more questions I have-
The turret to the KV-2 is curved in front, would it be best just to put styrene in hot water and bend it? Would that work? Would the styrene be damaged?
What is the best material when building detail parts, such as hatches?
Finally, what would be the best material when building the main gun elevation mechanism?
Sorry for so many questions, this will be my very first scratch built vehicle.
Oh, and what is the best thickness?
Old 07-02-2008, 05:32 AM   #7
Germanbilly1
Brigade Commander

I have been making a master mold for curved parts out of wood, flash molding, or what ever works and layng the styrene over it and putting it in the oven for 6 min or less at 365, just watch it and when it starts to sag take it out. You can still bend it and change it's shape. Just watch out because it is HOT. Don't put water on it because it will warp. LOL, have tried it.
Have Fun, if you don't try it you will never know.
GB
Old 07-02-2008, 06:12 AM   #8
Sixth Vanguard
Board Flunky, aka Site Admin

Very ambitious project. I think for your first scratch-build you might be better off with something less complicated than a tank.

We all THINK "tanks are just boxes, how hard is that?" That part is somewhat true when considering the hull and or turret, but the real stumbling block for many scratch-builders is the running gear. I have seen some ingenious work-arounds and some real creativity in the past, so it is not impossible, but for a first project a small 'something' that you can get done relatively quickly will give you valuable learning and a great amount of confidence.

Not to mention the KV2 is HUGE. The turret alone is as tall as an average soldier. Better have three times the room just to build it.
Sixth Vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:33 AM   #9
Actionfigureman09
Company Commander

I really wanted to try this project. But if you say that it's probably best to try something less complicated first, it might be best to. Any suggestions for a project, something interesting but easier?

Thanks for your help guys!
Ben
Old 07-03-2008, 03:47 AM   #10
Actionfigureman09
Company Commander

Thanks for making a new topic, I'm sorry about that. I'm going to read the rules section like I already should have.

So, I wanted to get an idea of just how big the KV-2 would be if built, and built one side from cardboard. That is a project that will almost surely never happen! Just the turret was six men long and 11 in. high, thanks for the heads up on the size

I now have a project that I for sure want to do, thanks to blitzkrieg
for supplying me the idea.