Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > Training Center

Training Center 1:6 Tips, Tutorials & Downloadable Media

Old 03-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
Wehrmachtoberst
Rifleman

Best stuff to make flags?

Ok I had made some before using regular spray paint and some bedsheets. It did not come out like i wanted. I am now wanting to make some German Party flags but I am not sure how to proceed. I had used basla wood to cut out my swastika and then used that with the spray paint. After about 4-5 uses, the wood became brittle.

So my question: Is there any kind of fabric that I can use that will not bleed AND is there any better way to make the swastika other than balsa wood? It got kinda hard cutting it out all the time.

It seems to me that if I had some kind of metal with the swastika stamped out, then that would work AOK. 'course if I go that route, how do I get the metal stamped out. You see my problem? Any one have any ideas??
Old 03-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
pzrwest
Brigade Commander

Send a message via MSN to pzrwest Send a message via Yahoo to pzrwest
If you can get a piece of inner tube patching you could cut out a swastika from that then glue it to a piece of 1/8th aircraft ply and affix a handle to it and make a stamp. you may have to double the thickness of the rubber but it should work.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
Frasmet
Mortarman

Try a stencil made from a plastic garage sale sign and instead of paint or die use magic markers.
Frasmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
johnro6659
Brigade Commander

Send a message via AIM to johnro6659
I have printed some in the past using printable fabric and using free pics of flags I downloaded on line or ones I have designed myself with photoshop. I also have made some flags with Iron on transfer paper that came out OK but a bit stiff. They work good for flags on vehicle fenders that are usually held by a metal rod. The trick is getting both sides even!

I have never really had much luck with paint or dyes on fabric they all seem to bleed or have rough edges even the fabric paints don't give you a very crisp edge.
The Fighting Sixth of New England
Bella detesta matribus
johnro6659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
fusilier1944
Company Commander

A dyeing technique I've seen used (never tried it personally) was to use wax to block out sections of fabric. The dye doesn't penetrate the fabric wherever the was is, so long as it's well into the fabric, and leaves that the base color. I've made a few by hand using brushed on paint or fabric paint markers that were satisfactory. Honestly if I were to do it again, I'd go with Johnnro's way using the printable fabric.
fusilier1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:36 PM   #6
Frasmet
Mortarman

Here's one that actually works.

Airbrush and stencil using ink. I used Citadel Miniatures red ink and a stencil printed on card stock. No bleeding, and a nice sharp edge.
Frasmet is offline   Reply With Quote