Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > General Quarters

General Quarters General 1:6 WWII Discussion Forum

Old 05-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
Company Commander

.308 Dry Transfers/Decals Open Discussion...

Both past & present I have had many requests for the need of high quality art, dry transfers, decals or stencils. I would like to present this to you all as an "open discussion". The purpose is to take a step forward for the 1/6th modeling community. I'm willing to try on my own or at least try to see if there are enough people that would want to cost share on common projects.

Many of us want to customize our models and we are limited as no one will step up to the plate and offer "standard" decals or dry transfers in 1/6th as they say there is not enough of a demand. The "market is minuscule". I don't believe it is that small... Therefore it is quite costly for us to have them custom made. I have tried to fill a small portion of this hole with my metal data plates. As long as there is a demand for them I will continue to do so. I would like to do more but I do not have the equipment nor the money to invest in the expensive high quality equipment to produce decals or dry transfers. Not the "homemade" stuff as the quality for 1/6th is not that great...

However, I am looking into the possibility of finding manufactures of, that has the equipment. I have already entered "discussions" with a few unnamed companies...

I am currently doing "research" to see what can be done. To find someone who owns the equipment or will either do custom runs at a fair price or will carry a stock. I am also looking for people that have access to, or work with a film bureau in the printing industry able to produce "print" style negatives for a 16" x 22" size.

As for products ~ I would like to hear from some of the producers from the "Maintenance Battalion" or other custom part makers that have a need for such and see if we may be able to share the cost to make some of the common wants/needs become a reality...

Example:
I know one thing I have had requests for over and over again are munition labels both Allied/Axis.

Best Regards,

Paul
Old 05-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
armorpax
Battalion Commander

Re: .308 Dry Transfers/Decals Open Discussion...

Hi Paul,

With Michigan Dawg out of the loop my stocks of ammo box labels are running low. I must admit I prefer dry transfer to waterslide decals but either are an option.

If you proceed with this venture I can certainly put some work your way but it will never be in huge quantities.

Best regards

Dave

armorpax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
Company Commander

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I WILL keep that in mind! At this point I would prefer dry transfers as well for my own needs... At this point I have someone that said they could do a 16" x 22" sheet at around $110 per color cost. Add $110 per sheet per color at $110. If I could find someone that could produce the film for the sheet it would drop the cost a great deal!

I don't know how many I could fit on a sheet yet to break it down to a per unit cost yet. Send me an email (dereynes@aol.com) of what markings you might need and size of, and we will go from there.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 05-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
Sixth Vanguard
Board Flunky, aka Site Admin

My only concern with dry transfers is shelf life. I have wet decals that are 30 years old that still work, but some dry transfers that are only 4 or 5 years old are no longer usable.

My point is if you go the dry transfer route be sure to only produce what can reasonably be sold within a short amount of time.

My 2 cents.

P.S. I prefer dry transfers as well.
Sixth Vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
Company Commander

Yes, dry transfers don't have a long shelf life, but once applied and with a clear coat over the top they well last forever, well, at least a very long time! LOL's...

Agreed decals are the way to go for certain applications. They both have a place in this hobby depending on the purpose.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
Littletankman
Machine Gunner

Hi Paul , when you decide the way to go will you be asking what decals people require .

Thanks Andy
Littletankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #7
thetoysurgeon
Battalion Commander

I have been on a search for a decal maker since John Ivory went belly up. I use water slide exclusively. I think I have found him. He has various thicknesses of paper ( he makes the paper himself) and uses a ALPS printer. His price for a single color (except white, silver and gold) are $12 per letter (8.5 X 11) size sheet, $15 for white, silver or gold. Remember these are single color sheets. He also can do legal size sheets for a bit more. He requires specific margins and a copy of the font you use. There are numerous true-type fonts available for free on-line. He also requires the file to be sent to him in PDF format. I have just completed 4 sheets to send to him. You can cram anything you want onto the paper. I'll keep everyone informed . Paul, I guess I rained on your parade and I apologize but I had to check in on what I am doing since you brought up the decal issue. I really don't like dry transfers and would prefer the old water slide myself. I do mostly text, but if you can get your designs into pdf I don't see a problem.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
mustangman
Sniper

If you offer up the stenciling on both US and German ammo crates I would be in for sure. I would even be interested in a set of stencils for a FW190, ME109 and P47 in 1/6. I already created the sheet with what is required for the P47.

Thanks

Pete
mustangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:48 AM   #9
Reef12
Battalion Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetoysurgeon View Post
I have been on a search for a decal maker since John Ivory went belly up. I use water slide exclusively. I think I have found him. He has various thicknesses of paper ( he makes the paper himself) and uses a ALPS printer. His price for a single color (except white, silver and gold) are $12 per letter (8.5 X 11) size sheet, $15 for white, silver or gold. Remember these are single color sheets. He also can do legal size sheets for a bit more. He requires specific margins and a copy of the font you use. There are numerous true-type fonts available for free on-line. He also requires the file to be sent to him in PDF format. I have just completed 4 sheets to send to him. You can cram anything you want onto the paper. I'll keep everyone informed . Paul, I guess I rained on your parade and I apologize but I had to check in on what I am doing since you brought up the decal issue. I really don't like dry transfers and would prefer the old water slide myself. I do mostly text, but if you can get your designs into pdf I don't see a problem.

Hi to add Dry Transfers can also be applied like a wet decal if you use Clear decal paper.

Jeff
Reef12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:05 AM   #10
tiger tank sean
Rifleman

hi

i would be intersted in a stencil kit for german ammo crates

cheers sean
tiger tank sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:06 AM   #11
redball
Machine Gunner

Paul though not decals or transfers a photo etched stencil set for US and German Ammo Crates may prove more feasible.
Then depending on the response perhaps a stencil set for rations items and such perhaps a mixture.

Unlike the stencils for vehicles they would be much smaller and therefore perhaps more economical in the long run.

For myself when it comes to larger sets I also prefer dry transfer but as stated before they are time sensitive unless applied to clear decal film.

So for myself I more inclined to go with items that I need at the moment when it comes to decals and such.

Well its just a thought but for me the stencil would be ideal depending on how its laid out and versatility of uses.
Check this site out for some idea's

Custom Military Vehicle Stencils by Axholme Signs

Mike
redball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #12
Reef12
Battalion Commander

Sweet that is there.

Jeff
Reef12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:14 AM   #13
ROB48
Platoon Leader

Paul,
Just thought I'd throw in a couple of pennies. I know the topic is decal or dry transfer, but there are a few comments about stencils. Depending on what a person wants, I tend toward stencils because of the ease of use. You basically place it, mask it, paint it and you are done. You don't have to using any decal set or spray with several layers of clear gloss and/or flat coat. I would like to see a stencil set for the White Scout Car. As for dry transfer or decal, I'd go with dry transfer.
Bob
ROB48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #14
gijoe
Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB48 View Post
Paul,
Just thought I'd throw in a couple of pennies. I know the topic is decal or dry transfer, but there are a few comments about stencils. Depending on what a person wants, I tend toward stencils because of the ease of use. You basically place it, mask it, paint it and you are done. You don't have to using any decal set or spray with several layers of clear gloss and/or flat coat. I would like to see a stencil set for the White Scout Car. As for dry transfer or decal, I'd go with dry transfer.
Bob
I would like stencil sets for ammo and ration crates as well. After all they were stenciled on the wooden crates on 1/1's, just my couple cents worth!
gijoe is offline   Reply With Quote