• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

1stlooey Bio

1stlooey

Platoon Leader
My 1:6 story is probably a lot like everybody else's here.

My father was a WWII veteran. A 2nd lieutenant, then 1st, he commanded a 81mm mortar platoon. He fought in the Ardennes, and received the Bronze Star for his actions in combat. He was in combat for about 6 or 7 weeks, and then spent about 4 months as a guest of the German government, when he was liberated by US troops. I heard his stories often.

(There is an open invitation to all SAG members who are interested in reading his war memoirs. PM or e-mail me and I'll send a copy in .pdf format.)

481946_9_Dad_in_dress_uniform_edit_cropped-med.JPG

Many of my neighbors were also WWII vets. My next door neighbor skippered a Higgins boat at Omaha on D-day, the neighbor behind me was a Navy Hellcat pilot trainer (he was too short for combat), and so on. I heard their stories, too.

In about 1967, I got my first GI Joe for Christmas. He came in an orange jump suit and a plastic fatigue cap. I think he may have been a pilot. (Today he looks like a convict!) It became my favorite toy for years.

I remember vividly when I broke this Joe. I was sliding him down the banister when his leg broke at the knee. I cried for days. My mom tried to fix it with her hot glue gun, but it wouldn't bend anymore and it still broke off from time to time. Later, I did a "head transplant" with the body of one of my flocked head Joes. I still have that Joe (and the flocked head, too). I promoted him to Lt. Col.
48DSC00418-med.JPG

It was a childhood dream to have a whole army of GI Joes. I guess that dream is being fulfilled today.

The fever passed, and all my friend's Joes ended up blown up, melted, run over, etc. I kept mine. And from time to time, I looked at the odds and ends of Joe stuff that I kept, and thought: wouldn't it be cool if they made these things again? only really accurate?

One day in about 1999, I was in TRU looking for a present for my son, when I saw a 21C German figure. I bought it immediately. I haven't stopped since. When I found the online retailers, then the web boards, that just set the hook deeper.

Whether for lack of funds, or of space, or of imagination, I have a very narrow focus for my collection: Fouhren, Luxembourg, on December 17th, 1944. This limits me to US infantry (109th regiment, 28th ID); US armored (D company, 707th Tank Batallion, 28th ID); German airborne (5. Fallschirmjager Division), and German infantry (Tank hunters, 916. Grenadier Regiment, 352 Volksgrenadier Division). My goal is to have about a platoon of each except the armored. So far, I have a full platoon of Volksgrenadiers, about 2 squads plus NCOs of Fallschirmjagers, and a similar amount of US infantry. I have 3 Stuarts, with 2 of them crewed.

(So, I pass on: SS, Russian, most German armor, {although late on Dec. 17th some Stugs came into action at this location}, Nebelwerfers, Japanese, Italians, DAK, British & Commonwealth, etc. Not that I don't like them, I just don't own a warehouse! :lol: )

My vehicles also fall largely within what could be found at this place and time.

I am originally from Minneapolis, where I lived almost all of my first 30 years. Eleven years ago I moved to Florida. I have been married for 17 years to a wonderful lady from Brazil. I work for a large builder of new homes.
48Family-med.JPG

I am COMPLETELY addicted to this hobby and this board. I really only spend time on one other board, which is a site for Brazilian 1:6 collectors.

I feel ashamed because I didn't post here for you earlier. Ed is a long time customer of mine. He placed my first big order way back. You can see all his crates in his RSO dio, which happens to rock! Ed's been a great guy and customer and one day I hope to meet him ( possibly a dio on the beach) when I make my trek to St. Augustine.

I just found this picture of me in October 1971, with my first GI Joe, one with an orange jump suit.
48October_1971.jpg

I just purchased some SS Smocks from Ed. They arrived in the mail today. From start to finish, Ed was a pleasure to deal with. I started out just buying the smock that he had up on his trade list and he offered me another one if I wanted it. Great communicator and fast shipper.

Thanks Ed. I hope I can return the favor someday soon.

Ed's a great guy to deal with he always answers his emails and ships ASAP. I just got the FOA 251 from him and not only at a great price but shipped pretty fast.

Back