• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

7.5 cm Leichtgeschütz 40 gun shells or cartridges?

Goldfinger

Marksman
Guys,
Anybody seen any good pictures of the actual shells or cartridges used on the 7.5 cm Leichtgeschütz 40 gun.

Need some reference material to see if I can make the ammunition myself.

Thanks
Simon

Simon,
Eduardo, Egonzinc, did a dio some time ago and he did the ammunition and primers and the cases for them. You might be able to search for the photos, I think it was on this board after the move from the old SAG but Im not certain. If not, try contacting him and he may have the photos. When I get home I can send you pics of the CH sets that i have. Eduardo's looked much better though.

I have yet to tackle this gun. The one I did bash some cases and shells was the infantry support 75mm, le18 is it?
Eventually CH also released a set. But for this lg40, I have never seen rounds or cases...

Crap, I thought this was the one you did Eduardo and for that matter I was thinking this was the infantry support gun.

My apologies Simon. However, I still have pictures of the CH sets if you want to give me your email address Ill send them to you.

Ok, I know the gun youre talking about now. i used to have this one. It was the CH version.

The round was similar in size and loo, as far as 1/6 goes, and the propellant was in the form of a powder bag. There was no container for the rounds but there was a simple type container for the powder bag. i dont know how accurate this was though.

Hi Guys,

To save further confusion, this is the gun -7.5 cm Leichtgeschütz 40 which was dropped by Fallschirmjager units into smaller pieces and reassembled once retrieved from the drop.
I believe there was also a 10cm version as well.

LG_40_CWM_2012_2_zps8019dcc0.jpg

recoilless-airborne-gun-75mm-lg-40_zps08f4fc77.jpg

Data

Calibre: 75 mm (2.95 in).
Length of gun: 750 mm (29.53 in).
Length of bore: 458 mm (18.03 in).
Rifling: 28 grooves, uniform right-hand twist, 1/52.
Breech mechanism: horizontal sliding block, percussioin fired.
Traverse: 360 degrees below 20 degrees elevation, 60 degrees above 20 degrees elevation.
Elevation: -15 degrees to + 42 degrees.
Weight in action: 145 kg (320 lb).

Performance:

Firing standard high explosive shell weighing 5.83 kg (12.86 lb).

Full charge: velocity 350 m/ps (1,148 ft/ps), maximum range 6,800 m (7,434 yds).

Ammunition:

Separate-loading, cased charge.

Projectiles:

7.5 cm Gr 34 A1: fuzed K1 AZ 23, weight 5.75 kg (12.68 lb).
This was an high explosive shell, filled with a 90/10 mixture of TNT and aluminium powder.

7.5 cm Gr 38 H1/B: fuzed AZ 38, weight 4.40 kg (9.70 lb).
This is a hollow charge anti-tank shell.

These were the shells fired by the 7.5 cm Geb G.36.

7.5 cm Pzgr. rot: fuzed Bd Z f 7.5 cm Pzgr, weight 6.08 kg (14.99 lb).

This was an armour piercing high explosive shell of conventional pattern.

This was the shell fired by the 7.5 cm F K 16 nA.

Propelling charge

The charge consisted of a silk-cloth bag containing 1.21 kg (2.68 lb) of Digl Str P with a gunpowder igniter stitched to the bottom; this was carried in a cartridge case with an 85 mm (3.35 in) aperture in the base that was closed by a plastic disc. A percussion primer C/43 was screwed into the centre. The case-mouth was closed by a cardboard cup.

The 7.5cm Geb.G. 36 fired the same rounds

here is a pic

nwgebg36.jpg

Very similar to Le IG 18 field howie...

here is some more

The guns consists of following major portions: stem with the lock and the nozzle, upper machine tool with lift and swivel gears of guidance, lower machine tool with the tripod and tread with the cushioning of the sight mechanisms. The gun barrel consists of pipe- monoblock and breech, connected to the pipe with the aid of the sukharnogo lock. The lock is horizontal, wedge, which is opened/disclosed to the right. In the wedge of lock are openings for the release of the solid-reactant gases resultant with the shot back; the nozzle is fixed on the wedge. The upper machine tool poured from the light alloy revolves on the pintle of lower machine tool. Sectorial type lift and swivel gears are assembled on the upper machine tool. Lower machine tool consists of base, three feet and tread. Feet are hinged connected with the base of lower machine tool. In the firing position they are fixed with the aid of the stops. Rear feet are connected together upon transfer to the march position, and the nose wheel strut rises and is attached to the clip of stem. The tread consists of the tubular axle, in which is assembled torsion cushioning, and two disk wheels with the continuous rubber tires. The weight of gun in the firing position is 145 kg. For the landing by parachute method and for transportation on the drag harrows under the winter conditions the gun is divided into two parts (stem and gun carriage). The light weight of system gives a good maneuverability on the field of battle. The gun can conduct fire at the elevation from - 15° to 42° with the sector of horizontal field of fire 60°, and at the elevation from - 15° to 20° - with the sector of horizontal field of fire 360°. In this case is ensured the maximum range of shooting 8 100 meter. Ammunition to the 75 mm gun consists of special fixed rounds with the HE fragmentation, cumulative and armor-piercing shells. Case used in these cartridges has a bottom of plastic with the nest for primer cup. The bottom of the case flies out when firing and thus it makes it possible for the part of solid-reactant gases to leave back through the nozzle. The HE fragmentation projectile with a weight of 5,7 kg has the initial velocity of 376 m/s, shooting is conducted on the distance of 8 100 m. The shaped-charge shell with a weight of 4,6 kg has an initial velocity of 364 m/s and a firing distance 6 800 m. It is capable to penetrate armor with a thickness of 50 mm. As all recoilless rifles the 75- mm gun possesses such deficiencies as the disclosing action of the solid-reactant gases, which emerge from the nozzle, the presence from behind of the nozzle is hazardous zone as deep as 50 m, and also the outgoing of the nozzle gases produces a strong sound, which can damage the eardrums.

here is another pic showing the seperate charge and the powder bag cases? from axis history forum. There is a loose round to the left of the gun. The I believe the cartridge case was reused by placing another primer and charge bag inside.

http://forum.axishistory.com/download/file.php?id=149090

http://waralbum.ru/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/qbim5391.jpg

http://wdict.net/img/7.5+cm+leichtgeschütz+40.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that is sweet !........very nice hammer. I have one of those gold/copper rounds & cartridge but thought they cant be right as they dont fit onto each other like other 75mm shells.
thanks

Just came back to this post to do some research and didn't see Hammer's post. You say those came from Cyberhobby. The black canister is the case for the charge casing and the powder bag. How sweet is this. I guess the projectiles are what goes in the crate? How did the black canisters come...6 to a crate? Primers are extra too?

The moderators must have added my old post. I could not find any good pictures or markings of the of the ammo.

The crate I made using a picture, somewhere I have what is stenciled on the crate. haven't added that yet. I believe it held 15 rounds which would have made it very heavy. So maybe it is a shipping or transportation container. the rounds to be to be broken down and put in smaller containers easier to carrier.

Case on the far left is the powder bag carrier, then the powder bag which is the propellent, then the shell chasing which is too big I think, then the round.

I hope this helps you out.

The gun I have came loose and almost destroyed but I have one I just need to do repairs that will hold.

Hammer

Last edited:
Hammer they are the right size. from what I have gathered, the projectile is put in the breech, then the brass charge casing containg the charge bag goes in as a 2 part round. there is a primer that goes into the bag. the only things missing are the paper ends to the brass charge casing/ this was reused. Since this was used by FJ, I assume each man carried a round/charge or 2. Have you every seen a container to carry just a few?

Very useful Waldo. There are four components; shell, powder bag, casing, and fuse. I assume the powder bags come prebuilt in in the casing. The casings are reusable. I am thinking there was a crate for the casings, shells and primers.

As I have no proper translation at my disposal, so here some info;

Une cloison intérieure sépare les deux projectiles des deux douilles. La munition est identique à celle du FK.16n/A ou 7,5 cm Geb.G36. La douille en elle même est différente et présente une partie bakélite à l'arrière.

Last edited:
Back