• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Bell SK-5, ACV

Hi All,

Started on the upper hull. Crew compartment and the enclosure for the Tail assembly done. The tail assembly will be a complete module that slides into this rear enclosure. That way I can shorten the model for transport.

Best regards

Dave

P5033289.jpg

P5033290.jpg

P5043292.jpg

P5043293.jpg

P5043294.jpg

Dave, has it yet gotten to the size where you've said "holy crap" ? I am anxious to see this progress, what a cool project!! Will you painting this in the scheme that includes the big shark mouth on the front of the rubber skirt?

Dave, has it yet gotten to the size where you've said "holy crap" ? I am anxious to see this progress, what a cool project!! Will you painting this in the scheme that includes the big shark mouth on the front of the rubber skirt?

Hi Wayne,

Not yet but I think once I over double the width with the outer hull maybe :-)

Sorry, no shark mouth. I've only seen them on the modified SRN5's used by the US Navy and have no pics of an SK-5 with a shark mouth.

This is what happens when I get bored of doing the same thing over and over and decide too look for something different.

Best regards

Dave

Hi All,

Started putting in the cockpit floors and I have now stripped the electronics and fan test module and made the locations for the parts in the hull.

Best regards

Dave

P5053307.jpg

P5053308.jpg

P5063309.jpg

P5063310.jpg

P5063311.jpg

Man that is big... impressive but big. Great work as always Dave!
Really enjoying you put this one together!

<grin> I wonder if these big projects might one day lead you to do the German Maus?

I am curious, what is the weight starting to get to? Still relatively light?

-Joe

Man that is big... impressive but big. Great work as always Dave!
Really enjoying you put this one together!

<grin> I wonder if these big projects might one day lead you to do the German Maus?

I am curious, what is the weight starting to get to? Still relatively light?

-Joe

Hi Joe,

the main structure is very easy to lift and move around, the fan assemblies are around 3.5kg all up.

Although we have been doing calcs of various sorts this a good old fashioned engineering project (trial and error) and we will not really know how it will work or be powered untill we have hopefully managed to get it to fly :-)

Best regards

Dave

Hi All,

I needed a break from making large flat structures so have done a little bit of the cockpit interior today.

Best regards

Dave

P5103319.jpg

P5103320.jpg

P5103321.jpg

Hi All,

Below is a link to the new lift fan set up. I have been playing with 12v DC pure sine wave inverters for my solar powered workshop and as a spin off now have a single phase 240v fan running nicely of a 12v battery.

Im only using a 14ah sealed LA battery at the moment which, even with the poor voltage drop off curve, has still run the fan for 20 mins and that wasn't on a full charge.

The long term plan is for Lithium phospate 20ah Battery which will be a Kg less at 3.7kg and should give well in excess of 30 minute run on a full charge.

http://youtu.be/51YcVKgtwxY

Best regards

Dave

Hi All,

3rd seat now done and I've started doing up two Hasbro door guns. Made the basic structure of the tail module which is removable for transport.

Best regards

Dave

P5243335.jpg

P5243336.jpg

P5243337.jpg

P5243338.jpg

P5243340.jpg

P5243341.jpg

P5243342.jpg

P5243343.jpg

P5243344.jpg

Hi All,

I have finished the fan section. I have also re profiled the tail module as, when I had finished it from the plans, it didn't look right to the pics I have.

As a break from large bits of white plastic I have made the ammo drum for the 40mm automatic grenade launcher.

Best regards

Dave

P5253345.jpg

P5253346.jpg

P5253348.jpg

P5263350.jpg

P5263351.jpg

P5263352.jpg

P5263353.jpg

P5263354.jpg

That is one great build... your attention to detail is always so outstanding... really 1/1

Great to see this coming along. It is going to be one impressive build

-Joe

Back