• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Entry #22 "Frasmet" GRAND PRIZE, PEOPLES CHOICE

SgtRock

Site Admin
A day on the Volkov Front summer 1943

After the successful, though costly winter offensive launched by the Second Shock Army, the siege of Leningrad was nearly broken and land communication with the rest of the Soviet Union had been re-established. After the spring thaw Second Shock Army went on the offensive again, though still under strength the Soviets had an impressive advantage over the German formations they faced. Anchoring the southern flank of Second Shock Army was the 73rd Naval Rifle Brigade. This formation acted as the pivot point around which the rest of the army turned to close the gap between the Volkhov Front and the Leningrad Front. As the navy infantry formations were generally less well equipped and certainly not up to standards in training the 73rd brigade was the ideal choice to occupy this portion of the line allowing faster more mobile formations the press the offensive. The protracted siege of Leningrad and efforts to capture or liberate the city were centered on lines of extensive prepared fighting positions on both sides. In this example we see a section of the lines held by the 73rd Naval Rifle Brigade, short section of trench works centered around a heavy weapon position. In this case a DP28 light machine gun. The trench works seem to be hastily constructed, as there is yet no revetting of the walls. The sailors manning this position wear army uniforms, with navy caps and vests, the officer inspecting this postion has retained his Navy tunic and cap rather than adopt an army officers uniform.

2 Reference photos:

1%7E18.jpg
2%7E16.jpg

3%7E16.jpg

4%7E15.jpg

5%7E14.jpg

6%7E12.jpg

7%7E2.jpg

8%7E0.jpg

Congratulations on a wonderful presentation.
I'm looking forward to the details of the parts used besides the Dimitri hat and sweater, I want to put together one of these for my collection... thise warrior seamen look AWESOME!

A worthy winner, actually a double winner, on an amazingly competitive contest.
Congratulations!
Eduardo

I thought that this was a stunning entry and you have my heartiest congratulations on your double win! On my first look , I had to do a web "double take" to check where your source pictures ended and your dio pictures began. An extremely worthy winner in a very hard fought contest.
The great effort put in to the contest by the many people who entered is very much appreciated by everyone who had the idea of this board in the first place. A true community effort!
Enjoy your prize(s)!! :grin: 8-) :P

Congratulations, a very well earned victory! Your photos are stunning to say the least. The poses are so natural, it was hard to tell the source photos weren't part of your entry when I first viewed them. Great job!

Frasmet nailed this contest in that he capitalized on each of the 6 judged criteria. It was "the complete package" as they say. First the write up setup the stage for the basis of his shoot. The reference pics were perfectly appropriate and lent an additional level of realism and believability to the scene. The figures are nicely turned out and give a perfectly cohesive look to the unit. The photography really went a long way in helping achieve the high score because:

1. It visually tied in well with the reference pic.
2. Allowed for a minute inspection of the uniforms and position.
3. Was taken from the perspective of a 1/6 scale photographer, this gave the viewer the impression they were actually there.

He did a very nice job of setting up the simple machine gun position and I think everyone noticed that he built a virtual copy of the type he has in his reference pic. Finally the figures were posed in a very lifelike manner, they all seemed to have that natural human fluidity to them. Great job!!

I'm stunned.

I want to thank all the judges, contestants and voters. This is the best contest I have participated in in terms of numbers, and quality craftmanship. I was certain I'd be damn lucky to get 3rd place, let alone anything better.

I also want to thank you guys for the kind words in this thread. The most gratifying part are comments from Kev, Ostfront, and Sixty, as my primary goal was to create a synthetic enviornment where the viewer feels that he is there (or at least that the photographer was there).

Hector, I'll post color pics for you in next day or so.

Egonzinc, I'm gonna post a few of these guys later as unique projects (I don't think any of them are really finished at this point). All of the enlisted guys are wearing all DML stuff, the only consideration was to make sure I used the later style gymnastorika. I do have a couple of pics of these guys wearing early style gymnastorika as well so time period matters for that. The lieutenant required a bit more work and I’ll be posting him first.

Again big thanx to everyone, Can’t wait till the next contest. :P

Ha Ha Ha Ha I knew my boat was sunk when this one hit the boards..Great job man..and oh yeah what Sixty said..Top shelf stuff and I'm looking forward to seeing your 250 you lucky dog..

Back