• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Fallschirmsjäger with mountaineer training?

Galland

Machine Gunner
Heya

I have some questions regarding Fallschirmsjägers with mountaineer training, if this was something that they handled in house, or if they where sent to, or trained by geberigsjäger troops proper?

My grandfather was part of the 1st FJ Div, but was a mountaineer expert, borne in the Karpaten, both he and my grandmother where enthusiastic mountaineers and above all went haiking together, especially in Austra.
My grandfathers edelweis badge still exists, but it is stuck on a wandering cane.

Grüß Di' Galland,

Fallschirmjägers and Gebirgsjägers worked closely together in many operations like Norway, Crete, and Monte Cassino. For Norway, FJ's received some mountain training and GJ's received some parachute training, plus jumped in the area of Narvik.

Mountain training would have been conducted by Gebirgsjägers at one of the various mountain schools.

Berg Heil und Horrido!
Patrick

bergenpg174.jpg

Thank you, I was wondering a bit about this, since I dont have much information about his mountaineer career, besides the fact that he was very fond of mountain life.
I also havent found much information regarding this, in papers, letters etc. just what my grandmother (and other relatives) have told me. I will have to look for a picture where one can see the edelweiss.

Back