• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Finnish Soldier, Winter War, 1939, WIP

Will

Rifleman
Hi guys!

I've always been interested in the Winter and Continuation wars, and noticed that there have been very few figures done on the subject. The figure is a Finnish Sergeant in a regular Jager regiment, though he still needs a lot of equipment and a weapon of some sort. I'm leaning towards either a Soviet Moisin or a Ppsh since Finnish troops often dropped their own weapons in exchange for Russian made ones (that and the fact that finding 1/6 Finnish weapons is like finding water in the Atacama!).

Any comments and criticism are welcome! Thanks for looking!

Will

Attachments

• IMG_0513.jpg
    IMG_0513.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_0514.jpg
    IMG_0514.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 259
Looks like a good start, you don't see much of this subject. Personally I know my knowledge of that period of the war is lacking. When I see a bash like this it makes me want to go and do some reading. Keep us posted on the progress.

Tim

Like your work so far, nice stuff. For a weapon you could use the Cavalry carbine 1898 pattern that comes with DiD's 'JAKOB BLAU' figure. In some pictures I've got in one of my WWII books it shows Finnish ski troops armed with them. As for field gear DiD's WWI German stuff would do a good job for your figure.

I did both a Winter War and Continuation War figure. It's one of my favorite subjects. You look like you are off to a good start.

A couple,of thoughts-
For the Winter War, use a WWI German helmet, painted olive green
For WWII a German M35 pattern helmet painted olive green
the Finns used a plain brown belt with looped buckle in WWII
The pants should be a darker shade of blue than the tunic (EDIT usually but not always)
As mentioned above, WWI German ammo cases are suitable as are German rifles.

Of course you could make him a machine gunner and use a Maxim

Last edited:
Thanks for the words of advice, fellas! I've been having some major computer problems, that and with the holidays and work, I haven't been able to bee on this site nearly as much as I would have liked. So I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.
The figure is almost finished. I need to get him some new hands. The ones in the photo were borrowed from a figure a put together for my dad's birthday, so right now the Finn has modern, fingerless gloves on. Except for that, though, he's done! :) I'll tyr to get the finished product up this weekend.

Thanks again!

Will

Back