• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Heeresbergführer

Heeresbergführer

Company Commander
Grüß Gott Kameraden,

I would like to introduce myself as a new member of this forum. My name is Patrick Kiser and live in the Washington, DC area. I grew up as an Air Force brat and got started in the 1/6th scale action figure world back in the 1960's with the first GIJoes as a kid. I also started model building at the age of 5. This all progessed into collecting the real stuff.

My main interest and specialty is World War II Mountain Troops. I lived in Germany from 1981-91, so the better part of my original WW II militaria collection is from the Gebirgsjägers (www.gebirgsjaeger.4mg. com). But I also collect US 10th Mountain Division, Italian Alpini, French Chasseur Alpin, and others. I have an extensive personal library of books about World War II, primarily on the German Army, plus many original German training manuals, photographs, art, and films.

I got back into the 1/6th scale figures back when the Dragon figures first came out, but other than taking them out of the box and putting on the shelf with my militaria, I have not done anything else with them. Then someone sent me to one of these 1/6th scale forums and I'm seeing these figures being treated like military miniatures. The great talented works of art that I am seeing has inspired me to get into the fray. I will be working on a series of Gebirgsjäger figures covering the major campaigns that they participated in.

Mit einem kameradschaftichen Horrido!

hoch4montage9bt.jpg

Hi welcome! :) I've only just joined too and like yourself I knew nothing of bashing and changing figures until I found some of the forums. I simply dressed them as they were on the boxes (still mainly do that anyway as I'm frightened to start something I'm not sure I can finish all that well!) Your photo is interesting too, can you tell me what the items in it are? Ron. 8-)

Servus Ron,

Thanks for the welcome! Kit bashing is something that should be fun and something you should experiment with. It you don't like what you bashed together, you can always start over. Just go with it!

As to my photo montage, it shows a several photographs of Gebirgsjägers: (left) A GJ jumping over a cravase on a glacier, (lower middle) General Lanz, commander of the 1st Gebirgsdivision, hands out eagle feathers to members of Hochgebirgskompanie Groth, an Ad Hoc unit of the most skilled mountaineers from the 1st & 4th Gebirgsdivision who scaled the summit of Mount Elbrus (16,000+ feet) in the Caucasus Mountains; (right) A GJ ice climbing with crampons. The drawing in the upper middle is from the GJ Mountaineering manual showing the proper use of the ice axe. Then the insignia and badges are, from left to right, the Edelweiss sleeve patch (worn on GJ tunics), the Heeresbergführer badge (for qualified mountain guides...only about 350 awarded during the war), the metal cap Edelweiss that is worn on the left side of the Bergmütze (mountain cap), and finally a unit cap badge for Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4 which was an independent high alpine battalion formed at the end of 1943 and fought in Italy from Monte Cassino, the Gothic Line, and in France on Mount Blanc.

Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Patrick

edsel";p="15482 said:
Hi welcome! :) I've only just joined too and like yourself I knew nothing of bashing and changing figures until I found some of the forums. I simply dressed them as they were on the boxes (still mainly do that anyway as I'm frightened to start something I'm not sure I can finish all that well!) Your photo is interesting too, can you tell me what the items in it are? Ron. 8-)

Thanks for the info Patrick, sorry it took me a week to reply! It was the main photo and the badges that intrigued me the most. Much appreciated! Cheers, Ron. 8)

Grüß Dich, Heeresbergführer!

Ich habe mich nur kurzlich dieses ,,Board'' angemeldet. Ich habe Dein Bio interessant gefunden.

My cousin's father (who was alsol my cousin), was a Gebergsjäger. If you are interested in researching their history, I could put you in touch with him.

- IM mich, wenn Du lust hat und wir können weiter auf Englisch oder auf Deutsch reden.

Tchüß,

John

Back