• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

I just painted up another set of Dragon British Webbing

Ortona

Marksman
... using Vallejo's Middlestone paint to simulate Blanco KG1. Compare with an untouched Dragon small pack above. You can see how light it is. I'm letting it dry along with the white glued brass tabs. The bayonet and the e-tool are BBI's, suitably modified. This stuff is getting harder to find. No idea what I'm going to do with it. Another Brit para? Another Brit 43rd Wessex Recce trooper? Perhaps another Canadian ... ?

0 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

Some say that the Canadians rarely used Blanco on their webbing. Here is a photo of Canadian Artillery Lieutenant James Montgomery Doohan, of the 13 CAR, taken just days before the Normandy invasion. Note how his belt appears darker than his tunic, so I'm saying KG3.

And, yes, that is "Scotty" from Star Trek!

0 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

Now my Lanchester-armed glider-pilot has some kit! Actually, the full kit was stuffed into the rucksack during the flight - he obviously couldn't wear it while flying, and one couldn't just leave it on the floor. The rucksack was discarded as soon as the pilot de-planed and formed up with the other members of the Glider Pilot Regiment - which fought as a distinct unit. They were held in reserve initially south of the Hartstein Hotel.

I gave him a Lanchester SMG since it was initially contracted for as an RAF airfield defense weapon. But most went instead to the RN. Were I a pilot who had access to one, I would bring it instead of a Sten. An added incentive was that it took the Sten magazines and used an Enfield sword bayonet. The pilot-issue Sten was the Mark III version, the cheapest made.

0-2 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

"Pilots Fix Bayonets!"

0-1 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

He looked like this before:

0-1 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-5 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-4 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

Great reworking of the classic '37 pattern...as for the figure...options a-plenty (cheers also for the 'Scotty' reference). Thanks for sharing, Steve

Back