• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Jedburgh Gear?

SFC Reising

Machine Gunner
I am not sure if this is the right area,but here goes. I am trying to find out if American Jedburghs wore U.S. Web gear. The only pics I have found are of Jack Singlaub and he is wearing British kit. My question is whether the Americans wore U.S. Kit ( I.e. Pouches, web belts, etc.).

I am trying to get a good idea so I can do a Jedburgh troop for my collection.

:brit_wink:

"most" of the time us Jed's jumped wearing US uniform and equipment. I have a picture book " US Army Rangers & Special Forces of World War two. They have many pre jump pics of Jed teams along with lots of info.

From all the pics I have seen, us Jed's wear US paratrooper uniforms and equipment. It seems most were armed with 1911'a and M1 carbines.

Can you tell me if any of the Jed pics show them wearing British jump helmets & Denison smocks with US web gear? :-D

There are two pictures out of maybe twenty of us Jed's in Brit uniforms. One shows a Jed in a Brit Denison smock with us trousers and weapons and equipment. The other shows a Jed wearing a one piece British camo insertion suit.

From all the pictures it would seem that the wearing of Brit uniform was the exception and not something regularly done. Most US Jed's Wore us paratrooper gear. I would say the m1 carbine (not m1a1) was the main primary weapon used by us Jed's. I only saw one pic of a Jed with Thompson SMG pouches on his belt.

Like I said every pic I have is of Jed's doin prejump stuff right before wheels up. No operational pics of on the ground as I imagine cameras were not allowed. I bet some soldiers would bring there own cameras on mission though so who knows.

Last edited:
Bob,

I have found that website in my research, but it is geared towards British/Commonwealth troops. The problem is that the Jed teams were a mixture and figuring out who wore what is difficult, because it seems to be such a mash up of gear/equipment.

Don

Officially Jed's were dressed in the uniform of their home nation so in case of capture they would have less of a chance of being hanged as a spy. The book I listed above is a has a lot of photos of Know US Jed's, with info to go along with it.

It would seem that some US Jed's wore Brit clothing but that was a minority while most wore us uniform. The author also said that the Brit made one piece camo insertion suit was the most popular Brit item used by US OSS personnel in the jedbrugh program. All the pictures I have seen seem to support this.

I think the confusion comes in when considering the mission. It looks to me like there were two different missions. One linking up with the resistance and the other conducting sabotage/clandestine missions. Maybe that determined the gear. In my Google searches I have seen quite a few Jeds wearing US uniforms and equipment. The pic that throws my off is the one of Jack Singlaub. Maybe all US teams wore US uniforms, but international teams ( US, UK, French) wore Brit uniforms? :-D

Back