• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

KV-1 3D Printed

tankme

Rifleman
The future of this hobby is already here when a person like me with no CAD skills can download free models of a highly detailed 1/10th scale KV-1, upscale it to 1/6th scale (+166.57%), and print it. The files were designed by someone else so this tank is being produced for my own personal use under a non-commercial license. I would never sell anyone else's intellectual property for my profit.

By the time the build is all said and done I will probably have close to 20kg of PETG filament used @$10/kg. Add the electronics to RC it and this build will come in way under $1000 not including the cost of the printer of course. I'm printing on a Bambu Labs X1C which is one of the fastest non-commercial printers on the market today. The lower hull took about 200 hours to print as shown. All parts require post processing by sanding to remove the layer lines, filling, priming, and painting. You can see the result of the post processing on the turret shown in primer. Longer prints are kicked off while I sleep and while I'm at work. It does take some time to figure out how to cut up the pieces to fit on my printer's print bed as it is only 256mm x 256mm x 256mm, but once you figure out that process it's a rinse and repeat until you end up with all the pieces printed. PETG filament can be glued using MEK so putting the parts back together after printing is pretty easy. I'm a little further along in the project than shown, but it's progressing nicely.

Attachments

• 101_1215.JPG
    101_1215.JPG
    419.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 380264345_7250987128263677_6353076350912778289_n.jpg
    380264345_7250987128263677_6353076350912778289_n.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot 2023-09-26 020835.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-09-26 020835.jpg
    594.5 KB · Views: 27
Tankme - that is outstanding! I've never seen a KV in 1/6 scale! That will be excellent. Yeah tracks take a while. I just finished a full set for my RSO. I don't know how many prints of tracks at 10 hours per print (15 or so links). But they came out great.

I'd sure like one of those Bamboo printers. I hear a lot of good press about them. For now I will keep working my little Prusa and Elegoo resin....

Forge on!
Bob

Bob,

I wouldn't even attempt to print something this big without a high speed printer. It would take....forever. I think 15 tracks will take it about 10 hours at a .12mm layer height. That is printing them cut in half down the center so that supports aren't needed.

Derek

The future of this hobby is already here when a person like me with no CAD skills can download free models of a highly detailed 1/10th scale KV-1, upscale it to 1/6th scale (+166.57%), and print it. The files were designed by someone else so this tank is being produced for my own personal use under a non-commercial license. I would never sell anyone else's intellectual property for my profit.

By the time the build is all said and done I will probably have close to 20kg of PETG filament used @$10/kg. Add the electronics to RC it and this build will come in way under $1000 not including the cost of the printer of course. I'm printing on a Bambu Labs X1C which is one of the fastest non-commercial printers on the market today. The lower hull took about 200 hours to print as shown. All parts require post processing by sanding to remove the layer lines, filling, priming, and painting. You can see the result of the post processing on the turret shown in primer. Longer prints are kicked off while I sleep and while I'm at work. It does take some time to figure out how to cut up the pieces to fit on my printer's print bed as it is only 256mm x 256mm x 256mm, but once you figure out that process it's a rinse and repeat until you end up with all the pieces printed. PETG filament can be glued using MEK so putting the parts back together after printing is pretty easy. I'm a little further along in the project than shown, but it's progressing nicely.

Awesome stuff :!:

Still moving forward...got some of the lower hull stuff test fitted, got the handles bent up for the three fender mounted storage bins, printed some test track pieces and used them to align the sprockets. Those things are bigger than my fist and the tracks are ~4.5" (115mm) wide. Only another 165 track links to print.... :) Still need to do the body work on the lower hull before permanently mounting all the details and priming. Need to get on the lathe and turn some custom bushings first as I can't find any suitable bearings that fit or that I can make adapters for. Just need to get my repaired tool post mounted on the lathe and order a few more sizes of Delrin rod.

Attachments

• 101_1220.JPG
    101_1220.JPG
    298.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 101_1219.JPG
    101_1219.JPG
    250.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 101_1218.JPG
    101_1218.JPG
    236.1 KB · Views: 17
Got a bit more printing done and a bit more assembly. I still have over a week of printing tracks before I will have a full set, but they are looking good. Need to source some pins though. Right now they are just friction fit. Still lots of post processing work to do.

Vjn2dPj.jpg

Finished up assembly of the sprocket mud scrapers, assembled the bore cleaning kit, got the saw assembled (minus the metal latches), assembled the horn, and got the turnbuckle hardware sorted.

n6VDrdU.jpg

Got the track fenders printed and mocked up. I also mounted the tool boxes (minus the covers). The fenders and boxes are not permanently installed at this point. I just wanted to do a test fit. I got the driver's hatch detailed and functional. I also got the engine hatches detailed and functional. The driver's hatch and the engine hatches weren't designed to work so I took parts from the KV-2 turret, cut them in the slicer, and added them to the engine hatches. I then printed the KV-2 hatch assembly and installed it on the KV-1. The KV-1 turret hatch couldn't be used for the driver's hatch or the engine hatches as it has the machine gun mount arms on it.

OrBDNZM.jpg

The driver's hatch close up:

JkC86Ak.jpg

The engine hatch close up:

peSUj0K.jpg

I have all the suspension arms, road wheels, sprockets, and idlers printed. I can't install them yet as I need to get on the lathe to make the Delrin sleeve bearings. The saga continues...

Looking awesome! What a great project!
Bob
Thanks, Bob. Spent a bunch more time on it last night trying to attach the front fender supports and the ribs running the length of the underside of the fenders. Lots of glue and clamping. Also got the TPU tires printed for the support rollers. By the end of the day today I will have almost 60 track links printed...only 110 more to go...lol

Derek

Back