• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

New board comming soon - good news

Sixth Vanguard

Board Flunky, aka Site Admin
Hi all,
I have been working on upgrading the board for the past few weeks.
Good news :!:
I have been able to figure out a way to combine all the users, posts, and attachments from the two previous board systems so that ALL posts ever made at SAG will be in the new board.
Still working on getting all the PMs imported as well, but it may not be possible... we shall see.

As for the two previous photo galleries, no luck so far but I will keep looking to see what I can do.

The new board is based on the very user-friendly and very well put together system called XenForo. I think most of us old timers should have no problem navigating the new board.

I haven't had time to look into styling the board with a 'SAG-style' yet, but I can work on that while it is live, so I am not letting that hold us back from moving on.

The new board will not have a photo gallery as I find the post attachments system in XenForo to be more than adequate. XF does have a very nice and supported 'Media Gallery' available at a reasonable price, so if people really want that we an always add it. I kind of like the idea of having 'albums' dedicated to topics, such as Shermans or Tigers, but honestly they got rarely used when we had them before.

One last thing, posts and PMs made after about the 4th of March 2023 will probably not make it onto the new board as I used a snaphot of the data at that time to create the new board, and it took a REALLY LONG time to get all that data converted to the new format. I will see if I can capture the few additions made after that date, but no promises.

I am really excited I was able to save the historic posts. Many of the posts were made by members no longer with us and I hated the idea of them being lost. I know nothing lasts forever, but if we can give them a little more time to exist I think it is worth it.

I am also excited to open the board to new member registrations again. Maybe we will find some new enthusiasts to join in the fun.

Lastly, HOPEFULLY all current members will be able to login to the new board with their existing passwords. If not, and if their emails address hasn't changes, the password recovery system should work.

NOT looking forward to dealing with spam accounts and spammers again; it has been ice not to have to deal with that; but they are part of the price we pay to be online these days.

I am also looking into some simple way members can help out with board costs. The costs moving forward should be significantly less than before because we are using up-to-date and secure software which lessens hosting costs. I am leaning toward using Patreon as it is easy for the members and also protects member privacy better than other systems I have looked into. There $3 a month 'donation' level looks to be the most beneficial, and people can easily join or leave as many times as they want at will, so it isn't a long term drain. We'll see.

If anyone has any questions or concerns do not hesitate to reach out to me. Email is the easiest for me track. sixthvanguard @ gmail .com

That sounds great, I STILL hate FB for posting projects - so hard to find it later. I'm willing to pitch in a little $$ to help. I don't mind paying to support a nice, easy to navigate, worldwide site. Thanks!
Bob

Thanks for the support guys :!:

I am still working on the conversion.
Some more good news, I am able to import all the hot-linked images into the new board.
This means hosted images, such as those on the dreaded photobucket, will get copied to the local board storage. I am in the midst of testing it, and it looks promising. I wish I could go back in time and get the ones that have disappeared. I am seeing a lot of "This image is currently Unavailable" images :(
BUT I am seeing quite a few coming through just fine, so better get at least what we can than have nothing at all.
Still lots to cleanup from all the conversions and data migrations we had to do, but making progress. :!:
(reminder to myself to somehow get our smilies imported as well :D )

A little update.

One of the things that I really wanted to do was recover as many of the photobucket images that are still alive before they disappear like the vast majority have.

My biggest problem was that many of the pb pics that are still alive were being served with the ugly photobucket watermark. I suspect it is for photobucket users that haven't paid the ransom to jailbreak their images from pb's jail ;)

(I realize photobucket has since fired the dip-twit CEO and marketing team that fug'd over the internet when they demanded something like $400 from their users to recover their image links. But one of my many faults is that I hold a grudge for a long long time, so pb can go to ... well ... you know :evil: )

I digress ...

After trying so very tedious methods ad realizing it would take me somewhere around 1000 hours to recover the images manually I discovered a program to import the images much more efficiently, even if still a bit tediously.

The result is we no longer have to see those dang watermarks.
Example of what the images used to look like
attachment.php

Sneak preview of what the images will look like now
attachment.php

(ignore the color scheme and such, still working on all that :P )

It was the best $35 I ever spent on a piece of automation software :!:

Attachments

• Capture-fug-pb.JPG
    Capture-fug-pb.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 160
  • Capture-no-pb.JPG
    Capture-no-pb.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Good to see so many familiar names posting. I really should get back to posting on the boards.

Best regards

Dave

Thought I would give a progress report.

I am currently working on the visual design of the new site, and trying to incorporate some user friendly features to make our lives easier on the board.

I am currently working on my 5th design. Here is a preview of my thinking. Consider it a work in progress.

attachment.php

I was fortunate to find the files from the last time we did a board upgrade, so I am going to try and create some new board images from a lot of content that no longer exists, as well as incorporate some new stuff since the last update.

Still quite a bit to do, and just tonight a rescue cat I have been housing (she literally just walked in my front door on a cold and rainy night and hasn't left) just dropped a litter of at least 6 kittens, so I am a little distracted. Fortunately she is proving to be a good mommy and I am hoping I won't have to take on the feeding of any she can't handle.

BTW, if anyone is looking for a new kitten, or two, or three let me know. I also have some five 6 months old kittens looking for new homes. All the people I had lined up for them have since backed out :(

Hope you are all well, will try and get this done soon.

DANG!!!!
I just realized I could have done this yesterday and had a nice April fools prank on y'all :P
Maybe post a pic of an old BBS from like 1995 :D

Attachments

• Capture20230402-03.JPG
    Capture20230402-03.JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 147
Back