• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

plausibility check

Squidley

Company Commander
I'm pulling out some old figs and assembling them lately. I dug out a BBI Red Parker. He's a US mortarman, and has a packboard to carry the dissembled pieces of the mortar. Box art shows all of it strapped to the board. Remembering some some of Eduardo's posts here, I question if that's even plausible, since I seem to recall the parts of the mortar (base, legs, tube) being divided among 3 men. If memory serves, that was a german team, but presumably the overall weight of these things would be similar.

What do you guys think?

Thanks, as always, for any info.

The mortar itself is a minimum 2 person load. One guy carries the baseplate, and another carries the tube and bipod.

The typical WW2 USGI mortar squad consisted of 5 men: a squad leader, gunner, assistant gunner, and two ammo bearers.

Definitely a 2 person minimum. I would go with at least 3 but if you have the figs do up a team of 4-5 like Rogue mentions. The equipment spread over 3 guys. Ammo spread over 3-4 guys and a gun leader carrying some light equipment.

Squid:

You didn't specify 60 or 81 Mike Mike. The above two posts are correct.

One man humps tube, base and legs for the 60.

One man humps the tube and another man the baseplate for the 81

In both cases the crew were composed of 5 men.

In my experience it seems that Uncle in his wisdom assigned the MOS of mortar man to the smallest men and the smallest of the small got to hump the base plate.

Great joy when the 'Old Man' has to catch the round sliding out the tube of an 81 because of a hang fire

Thanks for all the info guys. Think I'm going with the 2 man version for the mortar. Don't really have more than a couple rounds of ammo. Think the mortar is a 60, not an 81.

Thanks for all the info guys. Think I'm going with the 2 man version for the mortar. Don't really have more than a couple rounds of ammo. Think the mortar is a 60, not an 81.

The mortar rounds came in and were transported in cardboard tubes. Make you a few of these, which is quite simple to increase your ammo loadout.

M2_mortar_round_450.jpg

Back