• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Project 'Wehrmacht Firepower' - Mortars

SteveKrieg

Company Commander
G'day all,

For my second last post of the year - the last being the completion of the Kubelwagen which I should have done by tomorrow (Friday) - a sneak peak of my 'first cab of the rank' for next year (Feb-Mar) continuing with German firepower - mortars.

For the model show late next year (hopefully), I plan to have four examples side-by-side each with required crew in varying uniform and ancillaries - the platoon-level GrW 36 (5cm), the GrW 34 (8cm in both standard and airborne 'kurz') and the formidable GrW42 (12cm). I pulled them all out recently for preliminary work and to see how many I had with the intent similar to the 8cm mortar platoon photo shoot a couple of years back I'll do something similar with the 12cm's, trailers and such with a mate of mine 3d printing up additional rounds.

For those that remember the circa 2005 CHE release of the 12cm mortar (both in German and original Russian variants), the German mortar and ammunition trailers; these kits were designed as a three-part set though it was not until recently that I was finally able to trackdown a mortar trailer (which came with an officer figure). I only had one CHE 12cm of each variant but decided to go for the heavier DiD type instead which I have four of(Hayden Christ) which have been repainted more appropriate to the colours used. With so many 'pots on the stove' at once (a first for me as I normally like tackling one model at a time) it provides options should I tire or need a break from a particular model and switching between them all sort of speeds up the process in meeting the overall display aims.

But more on that next year, until then enjoy these preliminary images. Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• 171269201.jpg
    171269201.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 171269202.jpg
    171269202.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 171269203.jpg
    171269203.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 171269206.jpg
    171269206.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 51
I have very much enjoyed your Wehrmacht Firepower series. And look forward to next years installments. The photos of the different mortars 50, 81, & 120 is very cool showing the vast size differences. Your work in bringing the small details to each group is very inspiring. A huge thanks in sharing all your projects with our group!

Thankyou for that grand words of appreciation and it's my pleasure to be able to produce the dioramas and models that I do for such an esteemed group of 1/6th WW2 collectors (the term 'fanatic' implied). The scale lends itself greatly to the kind of detailing that I thrive on (as I'm sure we'd all tend to agree) and I've enough in my workshop to keep me going for sometime yet in terms of providing fresh examples to meet several future projects. Cheers and thanks again for not only these but for all the kind comments I've received this year in what is shaping-up to be a huge effort in trying to combine two themes common to the Wehrmacht - Mobility and Firepower - the exact layout plan yet to be finalised as more models hit the workbench. I wish you all and yours a great and safe Christmas to what has been a trying year in many regards and a much better 2021 ahead. Hearty modelling to all, Steve

Well thankyou very much 'Pangaea95', my pleasure. And for my final post of the year (sorry, the mortars took me away from my Kubelwagen project but not to fear as the completion of the vehicle is not long in coming) - the completed 12cm GrW 42 and its transporter trailer.

This has been a fun built largely because of the unique companion set of the mortar and its trailer. I had planned to put one of the all-metal DiD types on the transporter but given the trailer is a mix of resin and plastic I did not want it to buckle over time under weight given how hard they are to come by these days, however; I did recall having a lighter CHE version (as part of the three-box set) so once I found that I chose to use it though it differed slightly to the DiD type it is ostensibly the same and fitted perfectly.

Another issue I had was the dark green I'd applied to the DiD mortars - namely the shade was too light (Humbrol dark green spraypack) so I sprayed the CHE mortar with Tamiya dark green which is more befitting the shade used. Needless to say, the DID mortars will now get a recoating of the Tamiya kind for the diorama.

The Russian 12cm HM38 mortar was a very impressive piece of weaponry and indicative of the envy the Germans had for it not only putting into service every captured example they could find but manufacturing a direct (though very improved) copy of it - something the German arms industry was not renown for preferring designs of their own.

The mortar was increasingly used in the field artillery role and though it weighed almost as much as a PAK38 it was relatively easy to put into action and redeploy thanks to its trailer configuration (as illustrated in the last pic).

Enjoy, Steve

Attachments

• 171288925.jpg
    171288925.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 171288926.jpg
    171288926.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 171288927.jpg
    171288927.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 171288928.jpg
    171288928.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 171288929.jpg
    171288929.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 29
That trailer is a beautiful piece of work!

I picked up 3 or four of the DID mortars when they were being dumped and I had the capacity to buy random stuff.

I'd love to add the trailer and a big pile of shells. Anyone know where they might be available?

Cheers all for the kind comments,

'Squidley', unfortunately I don't see many of the trailers (that came as part of the 12cm mortar 'triology) these days and having missed out myself back in the day, 2006 I seem to recall?, when they were released. It was not until early this year (thanks to a huge batch of CHE kits that magically appeared on 'Wartoys.com) that I was able to finally get one (that and the 2cm Flak38 trailer which was also a 'unicorn' want of mine) albeit at a price much above that which they originally retailed for but what the hell it was worth it.

The shells, I'm having a few 3d printed sometime this year so can add a few more to the total if you want them (will discuss cost once I find out more if so). Cheers, Steve

Back