• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Schwere Panzer! !

granatwerfer

Machine Gunner
Schwere Panzer! !
Stonne, France 1940

After smashing through the French lines at Sedan on May 13, Guderian’s XIX Army Corps spent the 14th enlarging his bridgehead. On May 15th, with the Sedan bridgehead across the Meuse was still in peril from the French 2nd Army, he split his force- sending the 1st and 2nd Panzer divisions at speed into the undefended French rear areas to the west and diverting the 10th Panzer Division and Infantry Regiment Grossdeutschland to the south to secure his southern flank from the anticipated French counterattack. These two units, already exhausted from 2 days of intense combat, were ordered to seize the high ground of the Stonne sector and hold it until relieved by the infantry divisions of the following XIV Army Corps. This small town, of vital importance to both sides, occupied the high ground overlooking the Sedan bridgehead and was the scene of a brutal 2 day battle.
The battle began at dawn on the 15th with the Grossdeutschland Regiment, assisted by 60 panzers of II/PzR 8 assaulting the village after an artillery and Stuka bombardment. The defending French 67th Infantry Regiment of the 3rd Motorized Infantry Division put up a stiff fight that destroyed 5 panzers but were forced back to their defensive positions outside of town. This was just a precursor of an action that lasted over 4 days with hand to hand combat, armored assaults, heavy artillery barrages, and stuka missions… attack and counter attack changing control of this small town over 20 times leaving it in ruins.
On May 15th alone Stonne changed hands 8 times, the forces of the Grossdeutschland Infantry Regiment and Pz Rgt 8 locked in combat with the French 3rd Motorized Division and elements of their 3rd Armored division. It was here that the Germans came face to face with the premier French tank, the Char B1-Bis. One of these tanks, # 337 “Eure”commanded by Captian Pierre Billotte, proved invulnerable to German anti-tank fire and took 140 hits, and knocked out 13 German tanks (two PzKpfw IV and eleven PzKpfw III) and a number of anti-tank guns. After 2 Days, the Grossdeutschland Rgt had lost over 570 men and the 8th Pz Rgt sustained losses of over 25 tanks. These two depleted units were pulled from the line and replaced by the 16th, 24th, and 26th Infantry divisions late on the 16th. That day ended with the French 3rd Motorized Div in command of the town but they were down 20 percent and were facing 3 fresh divisions.
In a massive attack the morning of the 17th, the German 16 and 24 Infantry divisions sought to overpower Stonne and the surrounding areas. In one of the bloodiest days of fighting yet the two fresh German divisions suffered a bloodbath as the French held their positions and Stonne for most of the day. General Bertin- Boussu’s 3rd Motorized Division attempted to regain the village one final time on the 18th with both infantry and tanks but German airpower and artillery were too great and he was forced back to his starting positions after suffering heavy causalities. For the next week a stalemate existed but in the end the German forces had disrupted the French mission.
Ultimately, this action can be considered a strategic success for the Germans as they had prevented the French counter attack against the vulnerable Sedan bridgehead. Tactically however, the French, outnumbered on the ground and overwhelmed by the Luftwaffe managed to maintain an upper hand and would have to be a winner, certainly not the surrendering failures too often portrayed by history.

My diorama shows infantry of the I/ Grossdeutschland Infantry Regiment fighting one of the many French armored counterattacks May 15, 1940. All of my research, up to this point indicates that GD units were issued Y straps prior to the French campaign and that the shoulderboard ciphers and cufftitles were not issued until after the campaign was finished.
Thanks for looking,
Phil

IMG_0479_zpspwzna2cv.jpg

IMG_0469_zpsi5ztzyau.jpg

IMG_0472_zpsgtbweqvz.jpg

IMG_0467_zpsivxvro2k.jpg

IMG_0460_zpsm4bs7nfj.jpg

IMG_0450_zpsrgcodwx5.jpg

IMG_0436_zpswrpqtgt0.jpg

IMG_0435_zpss0mctutu.jpg

The figures:

IMG_0409_zpsl9werloq.jpg

IMG_0406_zps99sumr17.jpg

Unteroffizier Sattler ;
Headsculpt…… UFC fighter Tito Ortiz
Helmet ………..Monroe Perdu
Tunic……………..DID modified
Boots…………….Newline
Y – straps………Battlegear modified
Canteen ……….Soldier Story modified
Zeltbahn……….Dragon modified
Breadbag…… Dragon modified
Rifle ……………. Soldier Story modified and painted
Smoke grenade… Dragon modified ( early war smoke grenades had no knurling on the handle, just a white stripe)

IMG_0322_zpsffrdflpg.jpg

IMG_0310_zpsdyu13zpd.jpg

Gefreiter Zimmermann;
Headsculpt…………………UFC fighter Shane Carwin
Helmet……………….Troitskaya 28
PzB 39 pouches…… Custom
PzP 39…………………Dragon kit heavily accurized and modified

IMG_0342_zpsmtyrfrc5.jpg
IMG_0337_zpsqhqsvjjq.jpg

Oberschutz Heimlich
Headsculpt………………….UFC fighter Jason Miller​

Outstanding job Phil.....KUDOS!

Great historical background and great use of the head sculpts.

Keep up your good work...we have missed you on the Board

Great scene all-round and you've captured the grim urgency of battle very nicely in the headsculpts and stances. Cheers for sharing...Steve

Phil,

I really enjoyed reading your text. I recognize that, at the end of the day, the victors write history! And living in America for now more than 26 years, I've seen much sarcasm at French resistance to the German onslaught of May 1940. I'm especially keen to these jokes because I served as a conscript Officer for the 3rd Hussars Cavalry, a Regiment with a very colorful history in Napoleonic times (my Regiment colors are illustrated in my login picture).

My grand father, Maurice, left 6 children to his wife in Morocco (French Colonies) to 'fight for France' in 1939. Rommel's 11th Panzer "Ghost Division" captured him and his artillery battalion on their way to the coast - trapping the British Expeditionary forces in Belgium. He spent 3 years in forced labor camp and returned home when a German Officer, to whom he was teaching French, felt bad for his failing health.

But to come back to your writing, the French soldiers were very courageous and willing to stand for their "Patrie". Unfortunately, both France and the UK had poor leadership and out-dated warfare practices in 1940. Not much could stand to the will and genius of 1940 Germany.

Loic

Absolutely fantastic Phil, this stuff is right up my alley. I certainly respect all the research you've put in, I enjoy that part as much as the building of the pieces. It's great to see a PZ 39 in a dio, probably the first time I've seen one on the boards. You've even got the ammo pouchs down. I did a pair in leather and one in webbing.
Nice way to liven my day on a Monday morning.

Thanks

Scott

My diorama shows infantry of the I/ Grossdeutschland Infantry Regiment fighting one of the many French armored counterattacks May 15, 1940. All of my research, up to this point indicates that GD units were issued Y straps prior to the French campaign and that the shoulderboard ciphers and cufftitles were not issued until after the campaign was finished.

Thanks for including this bit, Phil! Certainly a point of contention at times (regarding infantry Y-straps in France 1940) and interesting tidbits about the Großdeutschland cyphers and cufftitles! I very much believe you've done enough research to show them thus kitted and attired.

The figures, poses, headscultpts, equipment, weapons, uniforms, insignia, and dio base, et al. are superb!

It all looks GREAT!

I really like that you've included the PzB 39 with your group. We don't see many of them in 1:6th as less of the hobby focuses on early WWII subjects when anti-tank rifles were much more prevalent. I think Jeremy or Eduardo last posted an early war German infantryman with a PzB 39 on the Sixth Division - but that's been five or so years ago.

Again - I can't say enough good about this thread! Fantastic research and execution!

Well done!

Fred

Thanks very much for your comments guys.

I know that I haven't been on the boards much as of late but I still kept plugging along at this project for about the past year. I've been fighting a few health issues for over a year now and I'm sorry to say that it's slowed me down a bit. My apologies for not communicating with my friends a little more.

Loic, thank you for your interesting story regarding your grandfather, I very much respect his and your service to your country. In researching WWII history, I try to read more than one account of any given action to try to get somewhat closer to the truth. From what I can see many of the French units performed quite well against the Germans when given half a chance. Unfortunately their government failed them and history has come to lay blame on the soldiers at the front. When I read about the action at Stonne I knew that I had to tell this story.

Scott, you know how much I enjoy researching the obscure...get a load of this....
http://www.forgottenweapons.com/ everything you ever needed for superdetailing your PzB 39. Just click on the anti tank tab and you'll be amazed.

Fred, It turns out that GD is kind of tough to research due to the fact that they looked like regular infantry at the time but in Uniforms and Insignia of the Grossdeutschland Division there is a series of photos of Leutnant Spaeter and his men that show some of his men wearing Y straps.

The research and figuring out how to make what I need is what I like best about this hobby. It's very gratifying to hear your observations and appreciation.

Thanks again, Phil

Fantastic set up and the time put in really shows. Those sculpts really work well and help to create a really dynamic looking set up.

Fred, It turns out that GD is kind of tough to research due to the fact that they looked like regular infantry at the time but in Uniforms and Insignia of the Grossdeutschland Division there is a series of photos of Leutnant Spaeter and his men that show some of his men wearing Y straps.

The research and figuring out how to make what I need is what I like best about this hobby.

I can see how that would be challenging, Phil. Glad you were able to find some period Großdeutschland photos to corroborate other sources - there's nothing better!

Agreed about the research! If it's something new to me I know I am buying research materials before I start buying loose parts.

Once again - the figures, diorama base and the historical write up are simply top notch!

Well done, Phil!

Fred

Re: A true French hero!!

Hi Guys, I just happened to find this photo yesterday and had to add it as a poscript to my diorama.
This is the Char B1 “Eure” (#337) ", commanded by Capitan Pierre Armand Gaston Billotte that breached the German defences at Stonne and attacked the enemy head on destroying 13 German tanks! In this attack “Eure” was hit over 140 times but was never knocked out.
It leave's one to wonder what would have happened had the French had tactically used their heavy tanks en masse rather than piecemeal.

Billotte, a French hero, was imprisoned by the Germans following France's defeat. After a year, he escaped to England where he was appointed Head of the Free French Military Mission to Moscow. After a year, he returned to England and served as De Gaulle's Chief of Staff. Following DDay he joined the French 2nd Armored Division, and then served as commander of the French 10th Division from mid-1944 until the War's end.

No wonder no one models French Tankers, they look really stupid :lol: and their tanks don't look much better :: German everyday for me.

Nice story though :!:

Cheers Antony

This post only gets better seeing everything you put into first before putting it together. Great stuff!

Back