• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Sled Questions

johnro6659

Brigade Commander
Hi,

I was wondering if there are any info on sleds used by the Gebirgsjägers.

I have a large metal sled from the Christmas tree shop I want to convert and use as a Gebirgsjäger sled and I found several little wooden sleds about 6" or 7" long I thought could be used. I fixed the decks on them with a better looking plank and repainted them grey but I don't know if I could use them or not. I am assuming like most soldiers in the German Army used what they could find so I hope I can get away with these for hauling equipment.

SmallSleds_001.jpg

I got a DML figure the other day with DMLs version of the sled even though it's OK I didn't feel it was all the correct after some searching I did find some great pics of an original one with lots of detailed pics. Even though I found a good reference for the sleds I still built one using the DML as a guide.

Geb_006.jpg

Geb_005.jpg

SAVE0176.jpg

SledRunners_001.jpg

SledParts.jpg

SledSB_001.jpg

SledSB_002.jpg

SledSB_003.jpg

SledSB_004.jpg

Sled_a003.jpg

Sled_a002.jpg

Sled_a001.jpg

Sled_a004.jpg

Sled_a005.jpg

This is the stuff i used for the tie downs.

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Here is the real deal and my next project when I get a chance.

AmmoSled_001.jpg

I forgot to mention to give it a little more strength and make it easier to assemble. I drilled the 6 uprights that go from the runners to the bed and cut some rods to put inside and fit into holes I drilled in both the runners and bed. It helped with assembly and keeping them in place. Between the glue and the small size they just slipped in every direction.

Looking at the pics I have of the real German sled making this version will be the easiest. The metal reinforcements are every where making those would take forever the wooden part would be fairly quick and easy.

I am going to spruce up the DML sled IMO the paint job is terrible I need to make it look more natural like bare wood.

Spruced up the DML sled today. IMO the DML sled had a horrible paint job so I repainted it to look more like real wood. I added tied downs like I did on the one I built. I did forget one thing that I'll have to do tomorrow, the sleds had a tow hooks like the tie downs on the rear so you could hook multiple sleds together that I forgot to put on the scratch built one I did and will have to do to the other sled as well. I still have to add the metal to the runners of the one I built.

Untitled-5-3.jpg

Just found this on a place I order stuff online. It's not German W.W.II but it looks exactly like one. They must have used the design. A little pricey for me to order considering I don't have any place to stash it. Looks perfect for a W.W.II German GJ Reenacter that can't afford the real deal.

Used Swiss Military Antique Horse - Drawn Flat Bed Sled - 404968, Misc Surplus at Sportsman's Guide

Edit: After re reading the description these are dated in the 40s it's possible the German army used these exact ones. I hope someone will chime in on the topic.

Last edited:
I was reseaching this subject as well and found pictures like johnro6659 real deal , and these
akjatypesju7.jpg

Bob

Back