• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Soldier Story Chinese question

Msimm

Marksman
So I bought a couple of the Soldier Story Chinese expeditionary figures , so my question is what do I need to change to make into a desert rat ? or Ghurka ?
Any help appreciated

Last edited:
Well, there are lots of pics there if you Google, but some are pre-war , some post-war and they don't explain very much on their own.

First , British 8th Army :~
Replace the breeches with KD trousers, or shorts worn with hosetops, and short puttees .
The buttoned pullover is a distinctly Indian Army type, and although it was used by Indian Army troops in North Africa ( remember that the Desert Army was made up of British , Indian , Australian , South African and new Zealand Troops , each with some slight idiosyncracies of dress ) it would not be typical of other Commonwealth troops. They wore pullovers with the plain circular or V neck .
All troops wore Battledress in the winter, sometimes mixed with the Khaki Drill items.
The helmet , Thompson and the webbing are fine.Most men of course carried rifles, the SMG being reserved to Corporals .

For a Gurkha :~ A complex subject. Basically Gurkha Regiments were part of Indian Army Infantry Divisions, which were dressed very much like other British or Commonwealth troops apart from the traditional items of clothing. The exact uniform of course changed depending on climate and the period of the war. In the desert,dressed as I explained above.

In Burma, in 1941/2, effectively the same Khaki Drill outfit. After that they were dressed in Jungle Green , with green webbing and long trousers. Of course they need a kukhri, and often wore the felt slouch hat when not wearing the helmet.
It's best to read around the various campaigns a bit before jumping. But the figure as it stands could easily be converted into a Desert War figure by changing the legwear. KD outfits from DML are still sold as spares.
But I think he could more easily be a Gurkha, so why not in the desert? Then he just needs a kukhri and some KD trousers ( sort of cooler weather combination ), and you keep the pullover.
Maybe if you unroll the puttees those breeches are actually trousers ?
If you want more, you know where i am...

Thanks Tony , I bought the figure initially for kitbaash material , they are full trousers under the putees , a nice figure, just a little tad sparce on kit compared to the other soldier story figs.
Did the typical Google search initialy, Just wondered if anyone else had bashed this fig into something different.

Mike

Back