• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Stuart side skirt removal, any threads or tutorials on how to do it?

Hammer's Africaners

First Sergeant
I have a 21st century Stuart that I want to remove/cut the side shirts off of it. But I am a little afraid to do so. Are there any threads or tutorials on how to do it?

Thanks Hammer

Re: Stuart side shirts

I used a Dremel for a "rough" cut, then sanded it down by hand.

You can cut it off (rough cut ) with a Dremel using a plastic cut off wheel and file it down to make it level. You could also use a power oscillating saw.
I suggest you do not follow the side skirt seam when you cut it off, but cut it lower so that when you are finished you cover the hull support and do not see it when the two parts are assembled. Then file the side skirt lip smooth.

I used the oscillating saw , works great.

I have cut 3 so far and I used an xacto knife and saw.
Leave about 3/16" on the fender side, see side view below, you will have to make the lip for the front of the fender.
Here is a side and front view that may help some.

normal_Stuart%2016.jpg

normal_Stuart%2014.jpg

Have cut off the skirts on a number of Stuarts and use a Weller soldering gun with the cutting blade, on the inside of the hull. Same as the others noted, cut a little longer and sand down the rest. Used the same method to cut off the turret machine gun stowage shield. Also, do this outside and try not to breathe the fumes.

Leonard
RTT

Back