• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Warning Order : SAG Veterans Day figure contest, 2009

Brave Rifles

Private Citizen
Okay boys and girls, whose up for some fun? We realized that we haven't had a contest in awhile, and we couldn't quite come up with a good reason for it.

So, we, the Mods and Admin have knocked ourselves upside the noggin in a good coulda had a V8 fashion, and said " hey, what the heck are we waiting for?".

Prizes come from our own personal cache or previous donations from various sources.

Entry cutoff is November 9th.
Judging to commence November 10th.
Results Veterans Day November 11th.

1st Place = 2 MIB figures and a Custom figure done by the staff.
2nd Place = 1 MIB figure and 2 signed Ron V prints
3rd Place = 1 MIB figure and DVD set

Rules are down right simple:

1. WWII Theme with NO political types allowed, Combat Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and Airmen only. Nationality unrestricted.

2. You may enter 2 figures for judging if you wish. BUT.. you can only win one place.

3. Max of 4 pics per entry. Only 1 may be altered or 'shopped for effect. Figures pose, kit stays the same for each photo. Background, photo editing or base not given consideration in judging.

4. Work must be yours, and something that has not been shown or posted before.

More to follow, so stay tuned.

To clarify, slowly melt the butter in a sauce pan....... ah s%*t, wrong topic.

Anyways,

If figure is your own work, and something that has not been shown or posted before.
It's a new figure bash right?

Are all SS considered political?

Maximum number of individual entries are two(2) single(1) figure bashes.

"Only 1 may be altered or 'shopped for effect" I usually crop, adjust sharpness and contrast is this considered 'SFE'? Or only more radical effects ie colour to black/white, as opposed to an actual B/W exposure.

Geoff

Geoff

If figure is your own work and it hasn't been shown before then it's a new figure bash...yep sounds right to me.
Cropping and fine tuning contrast is not shopping for effect. But special visual effects, aging, colourizing airbrushing to hide seams etc etc. Those are "Shopped for effect" Bottom line ; we want to see the clearest representation of your figure so we can tell how awesome a bash it really is. Don't guild the lily as they say in ballet.

Tim

From Hammer's contest thread:

Hammer's Africaners";p="143543 said:
Just a suggestion, maybe keep the figures posted hidden until a certain date, to add to the suspence and to get more entries to come in if no one can see what has been posted.

Brave Rifles";p="143545 said:
Not a bad idea. Will run it up the chain. Btw, unlocked the contest sticky here so feel free to add thoughts there.

Sgt Shultz II";p="143562 said:
can we take any entries and move them to a "admin only" area until like the 4th or 5th of November? Then nobody could see them before hand.

Are you sure that keeping things hidden won't backfire?
The idea should be to participate, obviously certain figures will be better than others, but one never knows how the judges will view things.
And it should be more of an effort to participate and showcase "Your" work. Prizes are just the gravy. Let's see some beef!

Geoff

Can the figure have been shown on another forum? I would like to get some input on it before I decide to post it here as the finished thing.
Thanks,
Ben

Good question Ben, and it is under discussion. I think the original intent was to have a totally new figure presented. That would prevent someone slipping in a figure that might have placed on another board somewhere.

OR, anyone feel free to add in their opinion on it.........

1. Allow only a new and unique figure created specifically for this.

or

2. Allow a figure from another board to be submitted, on the honor system. Meaning that it wasn't selected as a previous winner or made place( 2nd, 3rd, etc..).

Will keep everyone posted once it has been kicked around a bit. :!:

I actually have a figure that I am making specifically for this. I wasn't sure if posting it to get people's opinions on another board would make it so that I could no longer enter the figure.

I haven't posted it in another contest or even posted it at all yet.

Thanks,
Ben

Ben, I think it had been brought up to another Mod, so that was just an idea we had on the subject. Not saying you were thinking of entering one as such.

Am looking forward to yours :!:

I assume the last posting time for the contest is midnight of NOV. 11th? Please inform if otherwise.

thanks

Dennis

Depending where you are in the world ...
For the sake of the entire board let us make it 11:59:59 AM GMT on 11/10/2009. That would be the last possible moment that anyone in the world could still be in 11/9/2009 (at the International Date Line)

yes

The contest forum will not be locked down before 11:59:59 GMT on 11/10/2009.

When the contest forum is locked down then entries are no longer being accepted.

Get it in before the lock down and you are good to go.

I hate to be really stupid here but isn't GMT (Greenwich Mean time) the time in Greenwich England which is 5 hours ahead of EST? Reese you are confusing me why aren't you stating 11:59 PM 11/10/2009our time(either PST or EST). Where is this Greenwich time coming from? Which would put the contest ending point at 5 am EST 11/11/2009 ? MAn I am stupid. Its really a mute point because I'll have my entries in begore then, but I didn't notice in the rule an actual endpoint.

Sorry if it is confusing. It is. We have to pick SOME time.
We could use EST, but then the guys to the west get less time than the guys to the east. I am in California, we could pick PDT , but then they guys in Hawaii lose.

The posted rules said "Entry cutoff is November 9th. " It is still Nov 9th in California after midnight EST.

I believe that 11:59:59 AM GMT November 10, 2009 would be the last possible time that it could still be November 9th anywhere else in the world.

In the end a cut off has to be made, this seemed most fair.

11:59:59 AM GMT on November 10, 2009 is 4:59:59 AM EST on November 10, 2009

Back