• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Post new board issues here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to upload three pics. First one went fine, although i have no idea which user category it went to. Tried several times but the next two would not appear. I did hit "submit" after each one.

... I tried to post an updated sale list here today and I couldn't because of the 10,000 character limit.

For the time being I'll break up the list into a thread post and a reply in that thread - but could the character limit be raised?

Fred

Hey Admins,

I posted a question about the 10,000 character post limit a month or so ago and never heard back from you guys. (Check the top of Page 2 in this thread.)

I posted a sale list on Sunday:

http://www.sixtharmygroup.com/forum...erman-us-british-soviet-italian-japanese.html

and I had to break it up into THREE seperate posts to get it all posted.

This happened to me again with a regular post in the Ground Pounders Section - though in that instance I was able to edit down the wording.

Please let me know if the character limit could be raised for posts. 20,000 characters would do it I think.

Thanks!

Fred

OK, I'll try a quick answer after looking at your sales post.

I was able to take all three posts and post them in one post. The trouble with the original posts is all the formatting used. I am not sure if you are copying and pasting from some other program or creating the posts in the board editor, but all the BOLD and LARGE FONT and WHITE FONT used for so much of the text uses up a ton of characters.

For example, to post these 19 characters:

Dragon Headsculpts:

the system uses 70 characters when al the formatting is added. Looking something like this;

[ U][ B][ SIZE=3][ COLOR=white]Dragon Headsculpts: [ /COLOR][ /SIZE][ /B][ /U]

Every new line adds 2 more characters, so all the seemingly blank lines added to space things out add about 300 characters alone.

Like I say, not sure how you create your list in the first place (my suspicion is copy and paster from MSWord) but it takes a lot of space with all the format tags used.
All together the three posts add up to 18,910 characters.
- The board text is white without having to specify it. Removing all the added "color=white" tags takes about 5,000 characters off the combined post, so now it is down to 13,469.
- Remove all the "size=3" tags and that saves about another 3,000 characters bringing the post down to 10,859
- There are a bunch of blank lines that are BOLDED and UNDERLINED, those ad 14 character each when they are never seen. Removing those saves a couple hundred characters.
- General clean up of extra formatting gets it under 10,000.
See result in a reply
http://www.sixtharmygroup.com/forums/133385-post4.html

Maybe 10,000 characters is low. It is actually twice the default value used when you setup the board software. Obviously the limit is intended to keep people from bogging down the system with walls of text. I think the limit helps people think about what it is they are posting. If people are hitting 10,000 characters I have to think they are stopping and wondering "wow" :)

Certainly something to think about. I don't think it is going to change any time soon without some serious thought.

Thanks for the tips Reese - I was indeed copying and pasting from a Microsoft Word document. I'll edit it better next time.

Just something to get used to on the new board I guess - the old board you could copy and paste anything into the text box and it wouldn't do anything to it.

My biggest concern was for my sale posts - I don't want to edit anything out of those and risk losing a potential sale. My other post in question was a thread I started to highlight a Volksgrenadier kitbash I put together - so it was easy to cut some of that down.

Thanks again!

Fred

I get what you are saying Fred.

If you want to you can make this board behave like the other. This board has an "enhanced" editor that is used by default. You can set it to a simple text box, or like the old board the "standard" editor. Maybe if you use the standard editor it will copy and paste like the old board. If you try it let us know how it works.

Has anyone had problems with replying to others in Private Messages? I have been trying to reply to some one and they are not replying . Just wondering.

vehicle

There have been a few reports of PMs seeming to not work. What you can do is add a "read receipt" when you send a PM that will let you know if tey ever read eay. If you ge no receipt that means they haven't read it. That might be by choice, or because they don't check their PMs, or ...

PM me if you want me to contact the person you are PM'ing

You can refresh the website by going to the main forum page and clicking the refresh icon on the top of your browser(IE)

I posted a reply to the German Generators thread with a link to Schiffer books, I see that according to the main page I was the last to post but the post is not at the end of the thread. I still can't seem to get the smiles to work either I see some people have them in their posts but for some reason they do not pop up all the time when i use them.

Thanks John, got your generator post going, was stuck for some reason. The smilies that dont have uniforms on work
:o:):confused::mad::rolleyes::cool::eek:

Thanks, I thought it was strange because the other post I did went thru fine. I figured maybe it was because of the link to Schiffer that caused it to not post. Do you know why the other smiles don't work? Before you never saw the actual smile you only saw the characters in the prepost. I am still trying to get used to the new forum.

Not sure why your reply got stuck. We had a problem with some orphaned posts by a user asking to be deleted, might have caused it, but I don't think he replied in that thread, not sure. The smilies is a board configuration problem. Lots of modifications used on the board, one stepped on the toes of another and broke the smilies. Have to hunt it down, or better yet find the time to hunt it down ;)

The site for me is working pretty well, but today when I was reworking my signature I noticed that the file size limit is too small for my optimized .png. The signature is being hosted on my servers so no SAG bandwidth is being used. Is there a way to increase the signature file size limit? Also when I try to use the
tags it converts my gif to a .png. Is there away to work around this in my profile? Are gif file extentions not permitted on this site anymore?

Last edited:
Let me see what's up with the signature pic.
OK, got it working. I was able to upload your picture as your signature picture, it didn't complain about the file size. The file size set is generous and you file is very small. Not sure why you would get the warning.

Once uploaded I used the bbcode [sigpic][/sigpic] to insert it into your signature.

gifs are handled specially on the board. Few people use gifs for anything other than animation. The board switched to png for the ability to use high quality transparent images in the board style.

Looks like it works, let me know if there are anymore problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back