• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Search results

1. O

Is there a source for 1/6th scale tartan cloth?

The 7th Kings Own Scottish Borderers, at Arnhem, specifically. I need just enough for sleeve patches and cap badge backing.
  2. O

WW2 German sniper training film w/ English subtitles.

Curiously, it was made by the Luftwaffe high command, although the solders are apparently army. It has English subtitles too, so perhaps the film was repurposed for training the US Army after the war. These are very sophisticated techniques for the time.
  3. O

Contemporary German panzergrenadier training film

I had not seen this one before. Very interesting!
  4. O

Is Flickr preparing to pull a Photobucket on us?

I got this strange email the other day. It looks as though Flickr is going to start deleting all formerly free, private photos over the new maximum of fifty (down from one thousand). The options are join/pay up, or convert all private photos to public ones, a process that apparently takes...
  5. O

Who made the custom US 37mm ammo crates?

The wooden ones which were stenciled, to be specific? I just found out that the 45th Infantry Division still fielded as many as six 37mm guns as late as the Anzio Landing in 1944, so I want to make use of my Dragon gun.
  6. O

Need WWII German Heer radio references

Any books or websites that deal with the German communications equipment, its specific uses and details, would be greatly appreciated :p Danke, meine Funkers!
  7. O

Anybody do anything with DID's old metal 251/C?

Like, say, rework the rear armor plating. I picked up a discounted camo version from Toychest and Collectables ages ago, with a damaged front suspension and track, and haven't yet done anything with it. Thinking about a 251/2 mortar carrier version. Did anyone else get one?
  8. O

Looking for German ammo case/crate site link.

My old desktop finally crashed, and took several valuable bookmarks with it, including an amazing French language website dedicated to German WWII metal ammo cases and wooden crates. They had just about every surviving example, photographed from nearly every angle, and with full dimensions...
  9. O

It turns out that his name is not really Rudi ...

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/military/ww2/photos/images/ww2-111.jpg ... in spite of what Dragon says! The name of this SS trooper in the iconic, Dec., 1944 BOTB photo is Hans Tragarsky. He survived the war and lived until 2011! From the 101st AB Trigger Time discussion board...
  10. O

Unusual wood stocks on these Mark III Sten guns!

The photo is captioned: "An active Auxiliary Unit from the Hampshire area, well armed for their particular role and pictured completely against secrecy regulations and their own security should the Germans have invaded and acquired such a picture." 0 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr The picture...
  11. O

I just painted up another set of Dragon British Webbing

... using Vallejo's Middlestone paint to simulate Blanco KG1. Compare with an untouched Dragon small pack above. You can see how light it is. I'm letting it dry along with the white glued brass tabs. The bayonet and the e-tool are BBI's, suitably modified. This stuff is getting harder to find...
  12. O

A rescued tunic: Captain of the Algonquin Regiment of Canada.

I had this old tunic that I had dyed greenish for Canadian use, but I messed up the insignia for another unit, and so I removed the patches. But the glue residue - Fabric Tac - was too much, and so I tossed the tunic onto the reject pile. But Dragon mid-production M37 British tunics just can no...
  13. O

Lieutenant Bradley Pitt, Royal Winnipeg Rifles, an abandoned Chateau, Normandy.,

In July, 1944, The Royal Winnipeg Rifle Regiment was finally taken off the line, along with the rest of the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division - at least for a short time. Lieutenant Bradley Pitt and his elite regiment had been fighting non-stop ever since June 6th, when he - and they - came ashore...
  14. O

A Canadian "Westie" captain, Monte Cassino, 1944.

I promoted my Princess Louise Fusilier "scavenger" private, seen here earlier, to a captain of the Westminster Regiment, or to the "Westies", as they called themselves, one of three motorized infantry regiments assigned to the 5th Canadian Infantry Division. The other two were the Perth Regiment...
  15. O

I made 3 Canadian uniforms that I have no figures for!

Sigh. 0 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr Left to Right: Captain, Westminster Motorized Infantry Regiment, 5th Canadian Armored Division, Monte Cassino, spring 1944. Corporal, Cape Breton Highlanders, 5th Canadian Armoured Division, the Gothic Line, Adriatic front, summer 1944. Corporal, North...
  16. O

Corporal Barnabus Collins , A Co., The Border Regiment, 1st Airlanding brigade, Arnhe

The task of The Border Regiment during Operation Market Garden, alongside The South Staffordshire regiment and the Kings Own Scottish Borders, was to help secure the many landing zones, while the various parachute battalions were to seize the Arnhem bridge. All three regiments arrived by glider...
  17. O

Trooper Richard "Dickie" Winters, Airborne Recce Signaler, Oosterbeek

This radioman is one of my favorite Recce troopers. The BBI wireless set No. 38, is a rare, fragile little jewel. Note that although offered with two figures, the SAS desert raider Doulgas Caldwell, and a British paratrooper named Robert Cooke, the former was the only one of the two figures that...
  18. O

Howard Zermann , 13th Canadian Artillery Regiment, Juno Beach, D-Day + 2

This is what a Canadian artillery crewmen looked like fully loaded, fighting in the Normandy campaign. The 13th CAR came ashore on D-Day, but this fellow is a replacement, who came ashore two days later. We know this, because only those Canadian troops who came ashore on Day one, were issued the...
  19. O

"Ian Redux!" Sept. 17 is Operation Market Garden's 75th Anny!

"Ian" Redux: Dragon's first British Paratrooper promoted, repainted, updated and re-equipped - Oosterbeek, Holland, Sept., 1944. Ian was the first realistic British paratrooper on the market, so he is in need of a do over. Nothing but the head sculpt remains! He is shown here in the woods of...
  20. O

Sanitätsunteroffizier Alfons Schmertzmacher, 5th Gebirgs-Division, Gustav Line, Italy

I have always thought the German medical troops fascinating. The German medic figure, Eugen, as seen on the 1/35th Dragon figure set below, is one of the best German action figures out there: 0-22 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr You have basically four types of German medical personnel in the...
Back